This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Variation in Dimensional Tolerance Due to Sheet Metal Hydroforming using Finite Element Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study presents the prediction of the dimensional variation of holes due to sheet metal bending using the hydroforming technique. Sheet metal with pre-drilled holes was evaluated for a bending operation using a hydroforming technique. Sheet metal with a variety of thicknesses, bending radii, and bending angles was evaluated. Variation in the dimensional tolerance due to the bending was attained using the minimum radial separation method. A dataset of dimensional variation in the holes was developed and used for development of the artificial neural network, which was able to predict the dimensional variation of the hole if an unknown pattern of inputs was provided.
|Technical Paper||A Fitting Algorithm for Determination of Minimum Zone Form Tolerances|
|Technical Paper||Intrinsically Safe Current Limit Study for Aircraft Fuel Tank Electronics|
|Technical Paper||“Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing”|
CitationSubhashchandra, P. and Behnam, B., "Prediction of Variation in Dimensional Tolerance Due to Sheet Metal Hydroforming using Finite Element Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2388, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2388.
- Gordis, J. H. Flannelly, W. G. 1994 “Analysis of Stress Due to Fastener Tolerance in Assembled Components,” AIAA Journal 32 12 2440 2446
- Keigler, M. Bauer, H. Harrison, D. K. De Silva, A. K. M. 2005 “FEA - Calculation of the Hydroforming Process with LS-DYNA.” 8th International LS-DYNA Users Conference 15 22
- Leu, D. 1997 “A Simplified Approach for Evaluation of Bendability and Springback in Plastic Bending of Anisotropic Sheet Metals,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 66 9 17
- LS-DYNA Keyword Examples Manual Livermore Software Technology Corporation March 1998
- Maker, B. N. 1998 “User's Guide to Static Springback Simulation using LS-DYNA” Livermore Software Technology Corporation
- Pathak, K. K. Panthi, S. Ramakrishnan, N. 2005 “Application of Neural Network in Sheet Metal Bending Process,” Defense Science Journal 55 2 125 131
- Schroeder, W. 1943 “Mechanical of Sheet Metal Bending,” Transactions of A.S.M.E. Burbank 817 827
- Tan, Z. Persson, B. Magnusson, C. 1995 “Plastic Bending of Anisotropic Sheet Metals,” International Journal of Mechanical Science 37 4 405 421
- Wang, C. Kinzel, G. Altan, T. 1993 “Mathematical Modeling of Plane-Strain Bending of Sheet and Plate,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 39 279 304
- Yossifon, S. Tirosh, J. 1991 “On the Dimensional Accuracy of Deep Drawing Products by Hydroforming Processes,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 33 4 279 295