This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durable Coating Technology for Lunar Dust Protection and Mitigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Special coatings are being developed and tested to contend with the effects of dust on the lunar surface. These coatings will have wide applicability ranging from prevention of dust buildup on solar arrays and radiator surfaces to protection of EVA space suit fabrics and visors. They will be required to be durable and functional based on application. We have started preparing abrasion-resistant transparent conductive coatings ∼40 nm thick were formed by co-deposition of titanium dioxide (TiO2) and titanium (Ti) on room-temperature glass and polycarbonate substrates using two RF magnetron sputtering sources. By adjusting Ti content, we obtained sheet resistivities in the range 104-1010 ohms/square. We have also started conducting a series of environmental tests that simulate the exposure of coated samples to dust under relevant conditions, beginning with abrasion tests using regolith simulant materials. Details of the testing technique and coating material characteristics before and after these environmental tests are presented.
CitationAgui, J., Hambourger, P., Wirfs-Brock, J., Griffin, J. et al., "Durable Coating Technology for Lunar Dust Protection and Mitigation," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2205, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2205.
- Dever, Joyce A. Rutledge, Sharon K. Hambourger, Paul D. Bruckner, Eric Ferrante, Rhea Pal, Anna Maria Mayer, Karen Pietromica, Anthony J. “Indium Tin Oxide-Magnesium Fluoride Co Deposited Films for Spacecraft Applications,” National Aeronautics and Space Administration Washington, DC 1998
- Uppala, N. Griffin, J. Vemulapalli, J. Hambourger, P.D. “Slightly Conductive Transparent Films for Space Applications-Manufacturability and Durability,” 47 th Annual Technical Conference Proceedings 199 203 Society of Vacuum Coaters Albuquerque, NM 2004
- Wilkinson, R. Allen NASA Glenn Research Center
- Lippens, P. Malfait, K. Depuydt, A. Vints, M. Lievens, H. “Sputter Deposited Clear Barrier Coatings with Anti-Static Properties,” 40 th Annual Technical Conference Proceedings 395 398 Society of Vacuum Coaters Albuquerque, NM 1997
- Hodgson, Ed Hamilton Sundstrand Corp.
- Nasuno, S. Kudrolli, A. Gollub, J.P. “Friction in Granular Layers: Hysteresis and Precursors,” Physics Review Letters 79 5 949 952 1997