This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mathematical Modeling of Multiple Evaporator/Multiple Condenser LHPs Using EcosimPro
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To solve the thermal control problems of modern spacecraft with complex payloads and configurations, there is an increasing demand for multiple evaporator and/or multiple condenser loop heat pipes (LHPs). As a result, several initiatives, including flight demonstration, are being proposed and research is under way. It is well known that mathematical modeling of a conventional LHP is highly challenging due to the complex two-phase phenomena involved. In the case of multiple evaporator/condenser LHPs, there are additional difficulties since it is necessary to take into account the dynamic interactions between the evaporators and condensers.
A mathematical model for multiple evaporator/condenser LHP configurations is developed within EcosimPro. In this paper, the overall formulation and main assumptions of the mathematical model are explained. The simulation results obtained for both steady-state and transient regimes are presented.
|Technical Paper||A Monte Carlo Simulation for Maintenance and Reliability|
|Journal Article||Expanding Virtual Simulation in Product Realization|
|Technical Paper||Thermal Synthesizer System: An Integrated Approach to Spacecraft Thermal Analysis|
CitationGregori, C., Torres, A., Pérez, R., and Kaya, T., "Mathematical Modeling of Multiple Evaporator/Multiple Condenser LHPs Using EcosimPro," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2174, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2174.
- Ku, J. “Operating characteristics of Loop Heat Pipes” Proceedings of the 29 th International Conference on Environmental System, Denver, USA SAE Paper 1999-01-2007 July 1999
- Yun, S. Wolf, D. Kroliczeck, E. “Design and Test Results of Multi-Evaporator Loop Heat Pipes” Proceedings of the 29 th International Conference on Environmental System, Denver, USA SAE Paper 1999-01-2007 July 1999
- Goncharov, K. Golovin, O. Kolesnikov, V. “Loop Heat Pipe with Several Evaporators” Proceedings of the 30 th International Conference on Environmental System, Toulouse, France SAE Paper 2000-01-2407 July 2000
- Delil, A.A.M. Maydanik, Y.F. Chernyshova, M.A. Pastukhov V.G. “Development and Test Results of a Multiple-Evaporator-Condenser Loop Heat Pipe” Space Technology & Applications International Forum Albuquerque, USA February 2003
- Yanchao, X. Jindong, L. Zengqi, H. Hanlin, F. “A Testing of Loop Heat Pipe with Dual-Evaporator and a Parallel-Flow Condenser” Proceedings of the 13 th International Heat Pipe Conference Shanghai, China September 2004
- Nagai, H. Ueno, S. “Performance Evaluation of Double-Condenser Loop Heat Pipe Onboard Monitor of All-sky X-ray Image (MAXI) in Thermal Vacuum Testing” Proceedings of the 35 th International Conference on Environmental System, Rome, Italy SAE Paper 2005-01-2939 July 2005
- Maidanik, Y. F. Fershtater, Y. F. Solodovnik, N. N. “Design and Investigation of Regulation of Loop Heat Pipes for Terrestrial and Space Applications,” Proceedings of the 24 th International Conference on Environmental Systems Friedrichshafen, Germany SAE Paper 941407 June 1994
- Kiseev, V. M. Belonogov, A. G. Pogorelov, N. P. “Development of Two-Phase Loops with Capillary Pumps,” Proceefings of the 27 th International Conference on Environmental Systems Lake Tahoe, USA SAE Paper 972482 July 1997
- Bienert, W. B. Wolf, D. A. “Temperature Control with Loop Heat Pipes: Analytical Model and Test Results,” Proceedings of the 9 th International Heat Pipe Conference Albuquerque, USA May 1995
- Hoang, T. T. Kaya, T. “Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes with Two-phase Pressure Drop,” 33rd Thermophysics Conference, Paper No. AIAA 99-3448 Norfolk July 1999
- Cullimore, B. Baumann, J. “Steady-State and Transient Loop Heat Pipe Modeling” Proceedings of the 30 th International Conference on Environmental Systems Toulouse, France SAE Paper 2000-01-2316
- Hoang, T. Ku, J. “Transient Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes” 1st International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference (IECEC) Portsmouth, Virginia AIAA Paper No. 2003-6082 Aug. 17-21 2003
- Furukawa, M. “Analysis of Loop Heat Pipe Operation with Radiators of Different Orientation” Proceedings of the 32 nd International Conference on Environmental System, San Antonio, USA SAE Paper 2002-01-2504 July 2002
- Hoang, T. T. Ku, J. „Mathematical Modeling of Loop Heat Pipes with Multiple Evaporators and Multiple Condensers” 3 rd International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference San Francisco, USA AIAA Paper No. 2005-5682 August 2005
- Gregori, C. Torres, A. Pérez, R. Kaya, T. “LHP Modeling with EcosimPro and Experimental Validation” Proceedings of the 35 th International Conference on Environmental System, Rome, Italy SAE Paper 2005-01-2934 July 2005
- Gregori, C. Pérez, R. “Advances in Two-phase Capillary Loop Modeling with EcosimPro” 19 th European Thermal & ECLS Software Workshop Estec, Noordwijk, Netherlands October 2005