This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
How to Make an Anchor-Free, Flat-Floor Inflatable Habitat for the Moon or Mars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper introduces a new geometrical form for use as an envelope for a lunar or Martian inflatable habitat What makes this form unique is that it eliminates the need for anchoring that is common for many such inflatables that also offer their occupants a flat floor upon which to walk. The paper shows that it is feasible to make human-scaled inflatable structures based on this new geometry from common aerospace materials and that large-scale versions may also be feasible.
|Technical Paper||Breadboard Development of the Advanced Inflatable Airlock System for EVA|
|Technical Paper||Plant Facilities for Inflatable Habitats|
|Technical Paper||Advanced Airlock Concept Studies for Exploration Surface Systems|
CitationLowe, J., "How to Make an Anchor-Free, Flat-Floor Inflatable Habitat for the Moon or Mars," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2100, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2100.
- Zubrin, Robert Wagner Richard The Case for Mars 1996 Simon & Schuster New York 178 181
- Masik, Lawrence Survival on the Moon 1966 The Macmillan Company New York 54 57
- Speranze, Corrado “Soil Anchorages for Mars and Moon Future Bases Inflatable Habitats” Poster #9, 2nd European Workshop on Inflatable Space Structures 21 - 23 June 2004
- Beukers, Adriaan van Hinte Ed “Tensegrity Hero” Lightness: The inevitable renaissance of minimum energy structures 1999 Rotterdam 32 37
- Khoury Gillett Airship Technology 1999 Cambridge University Press Cambridge Aerospace Series #10
- Reed, Ronald D. Coulter Gary R. “Physiology of Spaceflight” Human Spaceflight: Mission Analysis and Design 1999 The McGraw Hill Companies, Inc 107
- Kennedy, Kriss J. Raboin Jasen Spexarth Gary Valle Gerard “Inflatable Habitats” Gossamer Spacecraft: Membrane and Inflatable Structures Technology for Space Applications 2001 American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Reston 527 552
- HexWeb™ Honeycomb Sandwich Design Technology http://www.hexcel.com/NR/rdonlyres/80127A98-7DF2-4D06-A7B3-7EFF685966D2/0/7586_HexWeb_Sand_Design.pdf
- Belfiore, Micheal “The Five-Billion Star Hotel” Popular Science March 2005 50 57
- Ching, Francis, D.K. Interior Design Illustrated 1987 Van Nostrand Reinhold New York 62 69
- Kennedy, Kriss J. “A Horizontal Inflatable Habitat for SEI” Engineering, Construction and Operations in Space III , proceedings of the Third International Conference on Engineering, Construction and Operations in Space May 31 June 4 1992 135 145
- Zukowsky, John Space Architecture: The Works of John Frassanito & Associates for NASA 1999 Menges, Stuttgart / London 77
- Cockell, Charles S. “The Desert Crossings of Mars” Martian Expedition Planning 2004 American Astronautical Society 163 173
- Cook, Peter Archigram 1999 Princeton Architectural Press New York 64 65