This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Fabrication of a Passive Deployable/Stowable Radiator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A lightweight 100 W-class deployable radiator with environment-adaptive functions has been investigated. This radiator - Reversible Thermal Panel (RTP) - is composed of flexible high thermal conductive materials and a passive reversible actuator, and it changes its function from a radiator to a solar absorber by deploying/stowing the reversible fin upon changes in the heat dissipation and thermal environment. The RTP is considered one of the candidates of thermal control methodology for the Japanese Venus mission “Planet-C”, which will be launched in 2010 to save its survival heater power. In this paper, design and fabrication of the RTP proto-model (PM) and the test results of deployment/stowing characteristics in an atmospheric condition are reported. Thermal performance estimation with thermal analytical model of the RTP PM is also presented.
|Technical Paper||Thermal Load Reduction System Development in a Hyundai Sonata PHEV|
|Technical Paper||Design of Vehicle Air Conditioning Systems Using Heat Load Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Behavior of Aircraft Cabin and Air Conditioning System|
CitationNagano, H., Nagasaka, Y., Ohnishi, A., Watanabe, K. et al., "Design and Fabrication of a Passive Deployable/Stowable Radiator," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2038, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2038.
- Lashley C. Krein S. Barcomb P. “Deployable Radiators - A Multidiscipline Approach,” 28th International Conference On Environmental Systems, SAE Technical Paper 98-1691 1998
- Goncharov K. Orlov A. Tarabrin A. Gottero M. Perotto V. Tavera S. Zoppo G. P. “1500 W Deployable Radiator With Loop Heat Pipe,” 31st International Conference On Environmental Systems, SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2194
- Tachikawa S. Ohnishi A. Shimakawa Y. Ochi A. Okamoto A. Nakamura Y. “Development of a Variable Emittance Radiator Based on a Perovskite Manganese Oxide” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 17-2 2003 264 268
- Osiander R. Champion J. L. Darrin A. M. Sniegowski J. J. Rodgers S. M. Douglas D. Swanson T. D. Micromachined Louver Arrays for Spacecraft Thermal Control Radiators 39th AIAA, Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA Paper 2001-0215 2001
- Braig A. Meisel T. Rothmund W. Braun R. “Electro Emissive Devices-Progress Made in Development,” 24th International Conference On Environmental Systems, SAE Technical Paper 94-1465 1994
- Nagano H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Development of a Flexible Thermal Control Device with High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Sheets” 33rd International Conference on Environmental Systems, SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2471
- Nagano H. Nagasaka Y. Ohnishi A. “A Simple Deployable Radiator with Autonomous Thermal Control Function,” The 38th AIAA Thermophysics Conference
- Nagano H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. Nagashima A. “Reversible Thermal Panel for Spacecraft Thermal Control (Evaluation of Effectiveness and Reliability of New Autonomous Thermal Control Device),” Heat Transfer- Asian Research 34 5 350 367 2005
- Nagano H. Kato H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Measurement of Thermal Diffusivity of Anisotropy Graphite Sheet using AC Calorimetric Method,” International Journal of Thermophysics 22 1 301 312 2001
- Nagano H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. “Thermophysical Properties of High-Thermal-Conductivity Graphite Sheets for Spacecraft Thermal Design,” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer 15 3 347 353 2001
- Sawyer D. M. Vette J. I. 1976
- West, G. S. Jr. Wright J. J. Euler H. C. 1977
- Nagano H. Ohnishi A. Nagasaka Y. Mori Y. Nagashima A. “Proton Irradiation Effects on Thermophysical Properties of High-Thermal-Conductive Graphite Sheet for Spacecraft Application,” International Journal of Thermophysics 27 1 2006
- Gilmore G. Spacecraft Thermal Control Handbook The Aerospace Corp. Press 2002