This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Rear Spoiler of a New Type that Reduces the Aerodynamic Forces on a Mini-Van
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Low Mass Vehicle (LMV) that is a minivan designed to compete with the Toyota Echo but with 30% less mass has been used for the research in the Institute for Advanced Vehicle Systems. To reduce the aerodynamic forces on the LMV, the present authors have developed a rear spoiler of a new type based on the principles of fluid dynamics and through numerical computations. This new spoiler has been developed in such a way that the aerodynamic drag as well as lift on vehicles having a bluff back can be reduced when the new spoiler is attached to them. Numerical simulations show that the aerodynamic drag and lift on the LMV moving at 30 m/s reduce by 5 % and more than 100 %, respectively, when the new spoiler is attached to it.
CitationKim, I., Chen, H., and Shulze, R., "A Rear Spoiler of a New Type that Reduces the Aerodynamic Forces on a Mini-Van," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1631, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1631.
- Sovran, G. Morel, T. Mason, W.T. Jr., 1978 Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles Plenum New York
- Hucho, W.H. 1998 Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles SAE international Warrendale, PA
- Kim, M. 2004 “Numerical Study on the Wake Flow Characteristics and Drag Reduction of Large-Sized Bus using Rear Spoiler,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 34 203 217
- Barlow, J. Guterres, R. Ranzenbach, R. 1999 “Wake Structure of Rectangular Bodies with Radius Edges Near a Plane Surface,” SAE Paper No.1991-01-0648 SAE Warrendale, PA
- Koike, M. Nagayoshi, T. Hamamoto, N. 2004 “Research on Aerodynamic Drag Reduction by Vortex Generators,” Mitsubishi Motors Technical Review 16 11 16
- Patankar S.V. 1980 Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Hemisphere New York
- Hucho, W.H. Janssen, L.J. 1977 “Flow Visualization Techniques in Vehicle Aerodynamics,” The International Symposium on Flow-Visualization Tokyo 99 108
- McCallen, R. et al. “Aerodynamic Drag of Heavy Vehicles,” SAE paper No. 2000-01-2209 SAE Warrendale, PA