This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study on the Chemical Reaction Kinetics of DME/Methanol for HCCI Combustion Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A numerical study was carried out to investigate the chemical reaction mechanism encountered in the homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) process of dimethyl ether (DME) and methanol dual fuel mixture by using a zero-dimensional thermodynamic model coupled with a detailed chemical kinetic model. The results show that methanol affects the DME oxidation path, low temperature reaction (LTR) of DME is inhibited and the heat release shape of dual-fuel only shows a one-stage heat release, owning to the heat released by high temperature reaction (HTR) of DME and methanol, including blue-flame and hot-flame reactions. In dual fuel reaction, the second molecular oxygen addition of DME is restrained, and the thermal decomposition reaction of the methoxymethyl radical (CH3OCH2) named β -scission plays a more important role in DME oxidation. Also, HTR of DME and methanol, including blue-flame and hot-flame reactions, almost occur at the same time. Based on the detailed analysis of chemical kinetics, the major paths of the DME/methanol HCCI reaction occurring in the engine cylinder were clarified.
CitationYao, M., Zheng, Z., and Liang, X., "Numerical Study on the Chemical Reaction Kinetics of DME/Methanol for HCCI Combustion Process," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1521, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1521.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion 2006
Number: SP-2005 ; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2005 ; Published: 2006-04-03
- Suzuki, H., Koike, N., Ishii, H., and Odaka, M., Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 1: Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Behavior Under Pre-Mixed Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Method, SAE Paper No. 970313
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Amneus, P and Mauss, F., Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition, SAE Paper No. 980787
- Stanglmaier, R.H., Roberts, C.E., Homogeneous Charge Comression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits Compromises, and Future Engine Applications, SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3682, 1999
- StanglmaierRudolf H. et al., Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition(HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engines Applications, SAE 1999-01-3682
- Najt, P.M; Foster, D.E. Compression -Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion. SAE paper 830264, 1983.
- Aceves, S.M.; Flowers, D.L.; Westbrook, C.K.; Smith, J.R.; Pitz, W.; Dibble, R.;Christensen, M.; Johansson, B. A Multi-Zone Model for Prediction of HCCI Combustion and Emissions. SAE paper 2000-01-0327, 2000.
- Stanglmaier, Rudolf H.; Roberts, Charles E. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engine Applications. SAE Technical Papers Series. Papers No. 1999-01-3682. 1999
- Christensen, M. and Johansson, B. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection SAE Paper 1999-01-0182, 1999.
- Ishibashi, Y. and Asai, M. Improving the Exhaust Emissions of Two-Stroke. Engines by Applying the Activated Radical Combustion. SAE paper 960742. 1996.
- Furutani, M., Ohta, Y., Kono, M., and Hasegawa M. An Ultra-Lean Premixed Compression-Ignition. Engine Concept and its Characteristics, Proceedings of. 4th COMODIA, pp. 173-177 (1998).
- Akagawa, H., Miyamoto, T., Harada, A., Sasaki,.S., Shimazaki, N., Hashizume, T., and Tsujimura,. K. Approaches to Solve problems of the. Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion. SAE Paper. 1999-01-0183. 1999.
- Zhao Fuquan (Frank). Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines: Key Research & Development Issues-Chapter 4 HCCI CONTROL AND OPERATING RANGE EXTENSION. SAE Publication PT-94, pp325-348, March 2003.
- Chen Zhili; Konno Mitsuru; Oguma Mitsuharu; Yanal Tadanori. Experimental Study of CI Natural-Gas/DME Homogeneous Charge Engine. SAE paper 2000-01-0329, 2000.
- YAO Mingfa, ZHENG Zunqing, QIN Jing, Study on the Combustion Character of a New HCCI Combustion System Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (DME) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). Proceedings of the 4th Asia-Pacific conference on combustion ASPACC 2003, 313∼317
- ShudoT.; OnoY.; TakahashiT.. Ignition Control by DME-Reformed Gas in HCCI Combustion of DME. SAE paper 2002-01-2828, 2002.
- Menrad H et al. pre-ignition and knock behavior of alcohol fuels. SAE Paper 821210. 1982.
- Karpuk, M.E., and Cowley S.W., “On Board Dimethyl Ether Generation to Assist Methanol Engine Cold Starting,” SAE Paper 881678, 1988.
- Zheng Z, Yao M, Chen Z, Zhang B. “Experimental study on HCCI combustion of dimethyl ether (DME)/methanol dual fuel”. SAE paper 2004-01-2993, 2004
- Yao M, Chen Z, Zheng Z, Zhang B, Xin Y. “Effect of EGR on HCCI Combustion fuelled with Dimethyl Ether(DME) and Methanol Dual-Fuels”, SAE paper 2005-01-3730, 2005
- Yao M, Qin J, Zheng Z. “Simulating the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Process Using a Detailed Kinetic Model for Dimethyl Ether (DME) and Methane Dual Fuel”. SAE Paper 2004-01-2951, 2004
- Golovitchev VI, Chomiak J, Nordin N. Numerical Evaluation of Dual Oxygenated Fuel Setup for DI Diesel Application. SAE paper 971596, 1997
- Lutz Andrew E.; Kee Robert J.; Miller James A.. SENKIN: A Fortran Program For Predicting Homogenous Gas Chemical Kinetics with Sensitivity Analysis, SAND 87-8248
- Curran H. J.; Pitz W.J.; Westrook C. K.; Dagaut P.; Boettner J.-C.; Cathonnent M.. A Wide Range Modelling Study of Dimethyl Ether Oxidation. Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 1998, 30 (3), 229-241.
- Held, Dryer Timothy J., Frederick L. A Comprehensive mechanism for methanol oxidation International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, v 30, n 11, Nov, 1998, p 805-830.
- Cribb Peter H.,Dove John E., and Yamazaki Satoshi, A Kinetic Study of the Oxidation of Methanol Using Shock Tube ang Computer Simulation Techniques,Combustion and Flame 88: 186-200(1992).
- Kawahara Nobuyuki, Tomita Eiji, Kagajy Hisashi, Analysis of Two-Stage Heat Release in HCCI Combustion with Dimethyl Ether. http:// 19thicders.matsuo.mech.keio.ac.jp
- Echekki Tarek and Chen Jacqueline H., Stricture and Propgation of Methanol-Air Triple Flames, Combustion and Flame 114:231-245(1998).
- KONNO Mitsuru; CHEN Zhili; MIKI Kentaro. Computational and Experimental Study on the Influence of Formaldehyde on HCCI Combustion Fueled with Dimethyl Ether. SAE Paper 2003-01-1826, 2003.
- Li, H., Prabhu, S.K., Miller, D.L. and Cernansky, N.P. The Effects of Methanol and Ethanol on the Oxidation of a Primary Reference Fuel Blend in a Motored Engine. SAE Paper No. 950682. 1995
- Yao M, Qin J and Zheng Z. Numerical study of the combustion mechanism of a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine fuelled with dimethyl ether and methane with a detailed kinetics model. Part 1: the reaction kinetics of dimethyl ether. Proc. IMechE Vol. 219 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, p 1213:1223