This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Validation of a Neural Network Based A/F Virtual Sensor for SI Engine Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper addresses the potentialities of Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN) for modeling and controlling Air-Fuel Ratio (AFR) excursions in Spark Ignited (SI) engines. Based on the indications provided by previous studies devoted to the definition of optimal training procedures, an RNN forward model has been identified and tested on a real system. The experiments have been conducted by altering the mapped injection time randomly, thus making the effect of fuel injection on AFR dynamics independent of the other operating variables, namely manifold pressure and engine speed. The reference engine has been tested by means of an integrated system of hardware and software tools for engine test automation and control strategies prototyping.
The developed forward model has been used to generate a reference AFR signal to train another RNN model aimed at simulating the inverse AFR dynamics by evaluating the fuel injection time as function of AFR, manifold pressure and engine speed.
Both forward and inverse models have been tested on new experimental AFR transients, showing the ability of the network in following the target patterns with satisfactory accuracy. Potential applications include the use of the forward RNN as virtual AFR sensor and the integration of forward and backward RNN into an adaptive open-loop controller.
CitationArsie, I., Marotta, M., Pianese, C., and Sorrentino, M., "Experimental Validation of a Neural Network Based A/F Virtual Sensor for SI Engine Control," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1351, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1351.
- Hendricks, E., and Sorenson, S.C., 1991, “SI Engine Controls and Mean Value Engine Modeling”, SAE Paper 910258.
- Dobner, D.J., 1980, “A Mathematical Engine Model for Development of Dynamic Engine Control”, SAE Paper 800054.
- Aquino, C.F., 1981, “Transient A/F Control Characteristics of the 5 Liter Central Fuel Injection Engine”, SAE paper 810494.
- Hires, S.D., and Overington, M.T., 1981, “Transient Mixture Strenght Excursions - An Investigation of Their Causes and the Development of a Constant Mixture Strenght Fueling Strategy”, SAE paper 810495.
- Powell, J.D., Fekete, N.P., and Chang, C.F., 1998, “Observer-Based Air-Fuel Ratio Control”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 72-83.
- Turin, R.C., and Geering, H.P., 1994, “Model-Based Adaptive Fuel Control in an SI Engine”, SAE Paper 940374.
- Arsie, I., Pianese, C., Rizzo, G., and Cioffi, V., 2001, “An Adaptive Estimator of Fuel Film Dynamics in the Intake Port of a Spark Ignition Engine”, Control Engineering Practice, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 303-309, Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Vigild, C.W., Andersen, K.P.H., and Hendricks, E., 1999, “Towards Robust H-infinity Control of an SI Engine's Air/Fuel Ratio”, SAE Paper 1999-01-0854.
- Patterson, D.W., 1995, Artificial Neural Networks - Theory and Applications, Prentice Hall.
- Haykin, S., 1999, Neural Networks, Prentice Hall.
- Shayler, P.J., Goodman, M.S., and Ma, T., 1996, “Transient Air/Fuel Ratio Control of an S.I. Engine Using Neural Networks”, SAE Paper 960326.
- Baumann, B.M., “Intelligent Control Strategies for Hybrid Vehicles Using Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic”, Master Thesis, The Ohio State University, 1997.
- Asik, J.R., Peters, J.M., Meyer, G.M., and Tang, D.X., 1997, “Transient A/F Estimation and Control Using a Neural Network”, SAE Paper 970619.
- Arsie, I., Pianese, C., and Rizzo, G., 1998, “Enhancement of Control Oriented Engine Models Using Neural Network”, Proc. of the 6th IEEE Mediterranean Conference on “Control Systems”, Alghero, Italy, June 9-11, 1998.
- Ortmann, S., Glesner, M., Rychetsky, M., Tubetti, P., and Morra, G., 1998, “Engine Knock Estimation Using Neural Networks based on a Real-World Database”, SAE Paper 980513.
- Capriglione, D., Liguori, C., Pianese, C., and Pietrosanto, A., 2003, “On-line Sensor Fault Detection Isolation, and Accomodation in Automotive Engines”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 1182- 1189.
- Puskorius, G.V., Feldkamp, L.A., and Davis, L.I., 1996, “Dynamic Neural Network Methods Applied to On-Vehicle Idle Speed Control”, Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 84, no. 10, October 1996, pp. 1407-1420.
- Tan, Y., and Saif, M., 2000, “Neural-networks-based nonlinear dynamic modeling for automotive engines”, Neurocomputing, vol. 30, pp. 129-142, Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Dovifaaz, X., Ouladsine, M., and Rachid, A., 1999, “Optimal Control of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Using Neural Network”, Proceedings of 14th IFAC World Congress, IFAC-8b-009, Beijing, China, July 5-9,1999.
- Hussain, M.A., 1999, “Review of the applications of neural networks in chemical process control simulation and online implementation”, Artificial Intelligence in Engineering 13, pp. 55 - 68, Elsevier.
- Arsie, I., Pianese, C., and Sorrentino, M., 2004, “Nonlinear Recurrent Neural Networks for Air-Fuel Ratio Control in SI Engines”, SAE Paper no. 2004-01-1364.
- Yasuri, Y., Shusuke, A., Ueno, M., and Yoshihisa, I., 2000, “Secondary O2 Feedback Using Prediction and Identification Type Sliding Mode Control”, SAE Paper no. 2000-01-0936.
- Yoo, I.K., Upadhyay, D., and Rizzoni, G., 1999, “A Control-Oriented Carbon Canister Model”, SAE Paper 1999-01-1103.
- Arsie, I., Pianese, C., Rizzo G., and Cioffi, V., 2003, “An Adaptive Estimator of Fuel Film Dynamics in the Intake Port of a Spark Ignition Engine”, Control Engineering Practice, Elsevier Science, Vol. 11, issue: 3, pp. 303-309.
- Fiengo, G., Cook, J.A., and Grizzle, J., W., 2002, “Fore-Aft Oxygen Storage Control”, Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Anchorage, AK May 8-10.
- Kainz, J.L., and Smith, J.C., 1999, “Individual Cylinder Fuel Control with a Switching Oxygen Sensor”, SAE Paper 1999-01-0546.
- Choi, S.B., and Hedrick, J.K., 1998, “An Observer-Based Controller Design Method for Improving Air/Fuel Characteristics of Spark Ignition Engines”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol.6, No.3, May 1998.
- Kim, Y.W., Rizzoni, G., and Utkin, V., 1998, “Automotive Engine Diagnosis and Control via Nonlinear Estimation”, Control Systems Magazine, IEEE, Volume: 18, Issue: 5, Oct. 1998, Pages:84 - 99.
- Nakae, M., Tsuruta, T., Mori, R., and Shinsuke, I., 2002, “Development of Planar Air Fuel Ratio Sensor”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0474.
- Nørgaard, M., Ravn, O., Poulsen, N.L., and Hansen, L.K., 2000, Neural Networks for Modelling and Control of Dynamic Systems, Springer-Verlag.
- Nelles, O., 2000, Nonlinear System Identification, Springer-Verlag.
- Heywood, J.B., 1988, Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, MC Graw Hill.
- Ljung, L., 1999, System Identification, Theory for the User - 2nd edition, Prentice Hall.
- Arsie, I., Pianese, C., and Sorrentino, M., 2006, “A Procedure to Enhance Identification of Recurrent Neural Networks for Simulating Air-Fuel Ratio Dynamics in SI Engines”, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 19, pp. 65-77, Elsevier Science, 2006.