This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hybrid Electric Vehicle Fleet and Baseline Performance Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity (AVTA) conducts baseline performance and fleet testing of hybrid electric vehicles (HEV). To date, the AVTA has completed baseline performance testing on seven HEV models and accumulated 1.4 million fleet testing miles on 26 HEVs. The HEV models tested or in testing include: Toyota Gen I and Gen II Prius, and Highlander; Honda Insight, Civic and Accord; Chevrolet Silverado; Ford Escape; and Lexus RX 400h. The baseline performance testing includes dynamometer and closed track testing to document the HEV's fuel economy (SAE J1634) and performance in a controlled environment. During fleet testing, two of each HEV model are driven to 160,000 miles per vehicle within 36 months, during which maintenance and repair events, and fuel use is recorded and used to compile life-cycle costs. At the conclusion of the 160,000 miles of fleet testing, the SAE J1634 tests are rerun and each HEV battery pack is tested. These AVTA testing activities are conducted by the Idaho National Laboratory, Electric Transportation Applications, and Exponent Failure Analysis Associates. This paper discusses the testing methods and results.
CitationFrancfort, J., Karner, D., Harkins, R., and Tardiolo, J., "Hybrid Electric Vehicle Fleet and Baseline Performance Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1267, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1267.
- The HEV specifications and testing procedures can be found at http://avt.inel.gov/hev.shtml
- Francfort J.E., Nguyen N., Phung J., Smith J., and Wehrey M.. Honda Insight Hybrid Electric Vehicle Performance Characterization Report. INEEL-02/00102. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory. Idaho Falls, Idaho. March 2002.
- Francfort J.E., Nguyen N., Phung J., Smith J., and Wehrey M.. Toyota Prius Hybrid Electric Vehicle Performance Characterization Report. INEEL-02/01522. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory. Idaho Falls, Idaho. December 2001.
- Fleet Test And Evaluation Procedure. Electric Transportation Applications. ETA-FEP 001. Effective June 30, 2004.
- All of the AVTA HEV results, reports, and fact sheets can be found at http://avt.inel.gov/hev.shtml
- FreedomCAR Battery Test Manual For Power-Assist Hybrid Electric Vehicles. DOE/ID-11069. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory. Draft. April 2003.
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery End-of-Life Testing. ETA-HTP14. Electric Transportation Applications. August 1, 2005.
- Implementation of SAE Standard J1263 - Road Load Measurement and Dynamometer Simulation Using Coast Down Techniques. ETA-HTP01. November 1, 2004. Electric Transportation Applications.