This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of V-6 3.5-liter Engine Adopting New Direct Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new V-6 3.5-liter gasoline engine (2GR-FSE) uses a newly developed stoichiometric direct injection system with two fuel injectors in each cylinder (D-4S: Direct injection 4-stroke gasoline engine system Superior version). One is a direct injection injector generating a dual-fan-shaped spray with wide dispersion, while the other is a port injector. With this system, the engine achieves a power level among the highest for production engines of this displacement and a fuel economy rating of 24mpg on the EPA cycle. Emissions are among the lowest level for this class of sedans, meeting Ultra Low Emission Vehicle standards (ULEV-II).
The dual-fan-shaped spray was adopted to improve full-load performance. The new spray promotes a homogeneous mixture without any devices to generate intense in-cylinder air-motion at lower engine speeds. For this reason the engine has improved volumetric efficiency compared to engines having these charge motion devices, resulting in improved full-load performance throughout the engine speed range. Together with Dual VVT-i (Variable intake and exhaust Valve Timing intelligence), the engine achieves specific power near the top of all naturally aspirated production gasoline engines in the world: 66kW/L, 228kW at 6400r/min.
Fuel economy is improved compared to a conventional DISI engine with both injectors optimized to improve combustion. As for improvement of the exhaust emissions, simultaneous injection by the two injectors is effective in reduction of HC emissions during cold start.
CitationIkoma, T., Abe, S., Sonoda, Y., Suzuki, H. et al., "Development of V-6 3.5-liter Engine Adopting New Direct Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1259, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1259.
SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology
Number: SP-2016 ; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2016 ; Published: 2006-04-03
- Sadakane, S., Sugiyama, M., Kishi, H., Harada, J. and Sonoda, Y., “Development of a New V-6 High Performance Stoihiometric Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE Paper2005-01-1152, 2005.
- Kanda, M., Baika T., Kato, S. Iwamuro, M., Koike, M., and Saito, A., “Application of a New Combustion Concept to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine”, SAE Paper2000-01-0531, 2000.
- Abe, S., Sasaki, K., Baika, T., Nakashima, T., and Fujishiro, O., “Combustion Analysis on Piston Cavity Shape of a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE Paper2001-01-2029, 2001.
- Yang, J. and Anderson, R.W., “Fuel Injection Strategies to Increase Full-Load Torque Output of a Direct-Injection SI Engine”, SAE Paper980495, 1998.
- Takagi, Y., Ihoh, T., Muranaka, S., Iiyama, A., Iwakiri, Y., Urushihara, T., and Naitoh, K., “Simultaneous Attainment of Low Fuel Consumption High Output Power and Low Exhaust Emissions in Direct Injection SI Engines”, SAE Paper980149, 1998.
- Anderson, R. W., Yang, J., Brehob, D. D., Vallance, J. K. and Whiteaker, R. M., “Understanding the Thermodynamics of Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Combustion Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Investigation”, SAE Paper 962018, 1996
- Lippert, A. M., El Tahry, S. H., Heubler, M. S., Parrish, S. E., Inoue, H. and Noyori, T., “Development and Optimization of a Small-Displacement Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine - Full-Load Operation”, SAE Paper 2004-01-0034, 2004
- Baretzky, U., Andor, T., Diel, H. and Ullrich, W., “The Direct Injection System of the 2001 Audi Turbo V8 Le Mans Engines”, SAE Paper 2002-01-3357, 2002.
- Kinoshita, M., Saito, A., Matsushita, S., Shibata, H., and Niwa, Y., “A Method for Suppressing Formation of Deposits on Fuel Injector for Direct Injection Gasoline Engine”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3656, 1999.
- Landenfeld, T., Kufferath, A. and Gerhardt, J., “Gasoline Direct Injection - SULEV Emission Concept”, SAE Paper 2004-01-0041, 2004.
- Morita, K., Sonoda, Y., Kawase, T., and Suzuki, H., “Emission Reduction of a Stoichiometric Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE Paper 2005-01-3687, 2005.