This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cervical Range of Motion Data in Children
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The “Range-of Motion of the Cervical Spine of Children” study is a collaboration between Kettering University and McLaren Regional Medical Center in Flint, Michigan to quantify and establish benchmarks of “normal” range of motion (ROM) in children. The results will be analyzed to determine mean and standard deviation of degrees of rotation and used to improve the occupant protection in motor vehicles, sports equipment and benefits of physical therapy. The data will be invaluable in the development of computational models to analyze processes involving children in motion.
CitationLynch-Caris, T., Brelin-Fornari, J., and Van Pelt, C., "Cervical Range of Motion Data in Children," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1140, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1140.
- Brault, J., Wheeler, J., Siegmund, G., Brault, E. (1998), Clinical Response of Human Subjects to Rear-End Automobile Collisions. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 79:72-79.
- Chiropractic Resource Organization (CRC), (2002) The, Range of Motion: Cervical ROM Table, URL http://www.chiro.org/forms/romchiro.html:, accessed 8 January 2005
- Dvorak, J., Antinnes, Panjabi, Loustalot and Bonomo (1992) Age and Gender Related Normal Motion of the Cervical Spine, Spine, Vol. 17, Number 10S, pp 393-398.
- Finnoff, J., Laskowski, E., Altman, K., Diehl, N. 2001, Barriers to Bicycle Helmet Use, Pediatrics, 108(1). e4.
- Janssen, E., Huijskens, C., Verschut, R., Twisk, D. (1993), Cervical spine loads induced in restrained child dummies II, Technical Paper, SAE, 933102.
- Janssen, E., Nieboer, J., Verschut, R., Huijskens, C. (1991), Cervical spine loads induced in restrained child dummies, technical paper, SAE, 912919.
- Kristjansson, E., Leivseth, G., Brinckmann, P., Frobin, W. (2003), Increased Sagittal Plane Segmental Motion in the Lower Cervical Spine in Women with Chronic Whiplash Associated Disorders, Grades I-II: A Case-Control Study Using a New Measurement Protocol, Spine, 28 (19): 2215-2221.
- Miller, K Jeffrey, Range-of-motion testing: A fresh look, Journal of the American Chiropractic Association, October, 2003.
- National Center for Health Statistics, with the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. (2000), CDC Growth Charts: United States, URL http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/nhanes/growthcharts/clinical-charts.htm_clin%202:, accessed 13 December, 2005.
- Nilsson N., (1995) Nordic Institute of Chiropractic, Odense, Denmark., Journal of Manipulative Physiology Therapy, 1995 Jun.18(5):293-7.
- “Normal Range of Motion of the Cervical Spine: An Initial Goniometric Study,” (1992) Physical Therapy, Vol. 72 (11), November 1992.
- Ordway, N., Seymour, Donelson, Hojnowski, Lee, Edwards (1997) Cervical Sagittal Range-of-Motion Analysis Using Three Methods, Spine, Vol. 22, Number 5, pp 501-508.
- Parkinson, G., Hike, KE. 2003, Bicycle Helmet Asessment During Well Visits Reveals Severe Shortcomings in Condition and Fit, Pediatrics, 112(2), 320-323.
- Rehaboutlet (2005), “CROM (Cervical Range of Motion Instrument),” Copyright © 1999-2005, Hospeq, Inc., Rehaboutlet.com: Accessed 8 December 2005.
- Tousignant, M., Bellefeuille, O'Donoughue, Grahovac (2000) Criterion Validity of the Cervical Range of Motion (CROM) Goniometer for Cervical Flexion and Extension, Spine, Vol. 25, Number 3, pp 324-330.
- Trevelyan, F, and Legg (2006) Back pain in school children - Where to from here? Applied Ergonomics, volume 37, pp 45-54.
- Wellberry, C. (2004), Proper Bicycle Helmet Fit Reduces Head Injuries, American Family Physician.
- Youdas, JW, Carey JR, Garrett TA. (1991)- Reliability of Measurement of Cervical Spine Range of Motion-comparison of three methods, Physical Therapy, 71:98-106, 1991.
- Zhu, J. and Salloum, M. (1997), The testing corridors for neck calibration of the child dummy, technical paper, SAE, 971067.
- Zuckerman, Diana (2001) “When Little Girls Become Women: Early Onset of Puberty in Girls” The Ribbon, a newsletter of the Cornell University Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors in New York States (BCERF), Vol 6, No. 1, Winter 2001.