This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Forensic Determination of Seat Belt Usage in Automotive Collisions: Development of a Diagnostic Tool
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The primary purpose of this research was to generate a “linked set” of data between collision severity, occupant weight and collision-induced seat belt markings to assist in reconstruction of motor vehicle accidents. The secondary purpose was to establish a preliminary threshold of belt load to produce known collision-induced seat belt markings. Sled tests were performed utilizing Hybrid III 5th and 50th percentile crash test dummies. Sled accelerations ranged from 10.0 g to 23.6 g and Delta-V’s from 6.4 m/s to 11.3 m/s. Post-test inspections and photographs taken of the seat belts documented collision-induced markings on components such as the D-Ring, latch plate, webbing and stitching. Belt loads were analyzed to establish preliminary thresholds for the production of observable markings.
- David E. Raymond - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University
- Cynthia A. Bir - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University
- Paul C. Begeman - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University
- Hai-Chun Chien - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University
- Jeffrey B. Wheeler - Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University
CitationRaymond, D., Bir, C., Begeman, P., Chien, H. et al., "Forensic Determination of Seat Belt Usage in Automotive Collisions: Development of a Diagnostic Tool," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1128, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1128.
- Felicella, D.J. “Forensic Analysis of Seat Belts,” Kinetic Energy Press Salem, Oregon 2003
- Moffatt, C.A. Moffatt, E.A. Weiman, T.R. “Diagnosis of Seat Belt Usage in Accidents,” International Congress & Exposition, Detroit Michigan Feb. 1984 SAE 840396
- Bready, J.E. Nordhagen, R.P. Kent, R.W. “Seat belt survey: identification and Assessment of Noncollision Markings,” SAE 1999-01-0441
- Bready, J.E. Nordhagen, R.P. Kent, R.W. “Survey Results and Discussion of Noncollision Seat Belt Restraint System Markings,” 31 st ISATA 99SF033
- Bready, J.E. Nordhagen R.P. Kent, R.W. Jakstis, M.W. “Characteristics of Seat Belt Restraint System Markings,” SAE 2000-01-1317