This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Newly Development Lead Free Copper Alloy Bushing for Fuel Injection Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a common rail type fuel injection system installed in recent diesel engines, a supply pump is needed to accumulate high pressure fuel. In this supply pump, a bushing is used for the outer cam system. The bushing is lubricated by diesel fuel with relatively low viscosity and unit load of the bushing is higher. Therefore, lubricating film thickness of the bushing is extremely thin. In order to ensure the bushing function under such severe sliding conditions, the bushing is required higher seizure resistance and higher fatigue resistance. Conventionally, lead bronze alloys are applied for the bushing material. We developed a new high performance copper alloy material without lead, which is one of substances of environmental concern. The newly developed bushing contains bismuth instead of lead for tribological component. By fine distribution of bismuth in the copper alloy matrix having high corrosion resistance, the bushing has achieved higher seizure resistance and higher fatigue resistance. In addition, by adding hard particles into the alloy, wear resistance and seizure resistance are improved.
- Hiromi Yokota - Taiho Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Toru Desaki - Taiho Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Hiroaki Hayakawa - Taiho Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Katsuyuki Hashizume - Taiho Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Hiroshi Ito - Taiho Kogyo Co., Ltd.
- Naruhiko Inayoshi - Denso Corporation
- Yoichi Murakami - Denso Corporation
- Takahiro Nozu - Denso Corporation
- Masashi Suzuki - Denso Corporation
CitationYokota, H., Desaki, T., Hayakawa, H., Hashizume, K. et al., "Newly Development Lead Free Copper Alloy Bushing for Fuel Injection Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1103, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1103.
- Nakagawa M., Ito S.: Common Rail System for Diesel Engines (1), Engine Technology, Vol.4, No. 6 (2002) 107 (in Japanese).
- Japanese Society of Tribologists, Tribology Handbook, Yokendo (2002), 419.
- Kamiya S., Yokota H., Kira T.: Development of Piston Pin Bushing material for High Performance Diesel Engine, Tribologists, Vol. 44, No. 12 (1999) 973(in Japanese).
- Tomikawa T., Yokota H., Asada E., Futamura K.: Bearing performance of Lead Bronze Including Hard Particles, Proc. of JAST Tribology Conference, Nagoya, (1993), 639 (in Japanese).