This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Load and Speed Transitions in an HCCI Engine Using 1-D Cycle Simulation and Thermal Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Exhaust gas rebreathing is considered to be a practical enabler that could be used in HCCI production engines. Recent experimental work at the University of Michigan demonstrates that the combustion characteristics of an HCCI engine using large amounts of hot residual gas by rebreathing are very sensitive to engine thermal conditions.
This computational study addresses HCCI engine operation with rebreathing, with emphasis on the effects of engine thermal conditions during transient periods. A 1-D cycle simulation with thermal networks is carried out under load and speed transitions. A knock integral auto-ignition model, a modified Woschni heat transfer model for HCCI engines and empirical correlations to define burn rate and combustion efficiency are incorporated into the engine cycle simulation model.
The simulation results show very different engine behavior during the thermal transient periods compared with steady state. Hot walls advance the ignition timing, while cold walls may result in misfire. Realizable operating regions during the thermal transitions are very dependent on the wall temperatures and are quite different from the steady state. This implies that thermal inertia must be considered in order to fully optimize HCCI engine operation.
CitationChang, K., Babajimopoulos, A., Lavoie, G., Filipi, Z. et al., "Analysis of Load and Speed Transitions in an HCCI Engine Using 1-D Cycle Simulation and Thermal Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1087, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1087.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Combustion 2006
Number: SP-2005; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2005; Published: 2006-04-03
- Zhao, F. Asmus, T. Assanis, D. N. Dec, J. Eng J. Najt, P. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines, Key Research and Development Issues,” SAE PT-94 2003
- Christensen, M. Einewall, P. Johansson, B. “Homogeneous charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Isooctane, Ethanol and Natural Gas - A comparison to Spark Ignition Operation,” SAE paper 972874
- Urata, Y. Awasaka, M. Takanashi, J. Kakinuma, T. Hakozaki, T. Umemoto, A. “A Study of Gasoline Fuelled HCCI Engine Equipped with an Electromagnetic Valve Train,” SAE paper 2004-01-1898
- Dec, J. E. “A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines,” SAE paper 2002-01-1309
- Milovanovic, N. Blundell, D. Pearson, R. Turner, J. Chen, R. “Enlarging the Operational Range of a Gasoline HCCI Engine by Controlling the Coolant Temperature,” SAE paper 2005-01-0157
- Milovanovic, N. Blundell, D. Gedge, S. Turner, J. “SI-HCCI-SI Mode Transition at Different Engine Operating Conditions,” SAE paper 2005-01-0156
- Santoso, H. Mattews, J. Cheng, W. K. “Managing SI/HCCI Dual Mode Engine Operation,” SAE paper 2005-01-0162
- Koopmans, L. Strom, H. Lundgren, S. Backlind, O. Denbratt, I. “Demonstrating a SI-HCCI-SI Mode Change on a Volvo 5-Cylinder Electronic Valve Vontrol Engine,” SAE paper 2003-01-0753
- Chang, J. Filipi, Z. S. Assanis, D. N. Kuo, T-W. Najt, P. Rask, R. “Characterizing the Thermal Sensitivity of a Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Measurement of Instantaneous Wall Temperature and Heat Flux,” International Journal Engine Research 6 289 309 2005
- Chang, J. Filipi, Z. S. Assanis, D. N. “New Heat Transfer Correlation for an HCCI Engine Derived from Measurements of Instantaneous Surface Heat Flux,” SAE paper 2004-01-2996
- Koopman L. Denbratt, I. “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline,” SAE paper 2001-01-3610
- Persson, H. Agrell, M. Olsson, J. Johansson, B. Strom, H. “The effect of Intake Temperature on HCCI Operation Using Negative Valve Overlap,” SAE paper 2004-01-0944
- Sjöberg, M. Dec, J. E. Babajimopoulos, A. Assanis, D. N. “Comparing Enhanced Natural Thermal Stratification Against Retarded Combustion Phasing for Smoothing of HCCI Heat-Release Rates,” SAE paper 2004-01-2994
- Babajimopoulos, A. Assanis, D. N. Fiveland, S. “An Approach for Modeling the Effects of Gas Exchange Processes on HCCI Combustion and Its Application in Evaluating Variable Valve Timing Control Strategies,” SAE paper 2002-01-2829
- Fiveland S. Assanis, D. N. “Development of a Two-Zone HCCI Combustion Model Accounting for Boundary Layer Effect,” SAE paper 2001-01-1028
- Aceves, S. M. Martinez-Frias, J. Dibble, R. W. Wright, J. F. Hessel, R. P. “A Decoupled Model of Detailed Fluid Mechanics Followed by Detailed Chemical Kinetics for Prediction of Iso-Octane HCCI Combustion,” SAE paper, 2001-01-3612
- Kong, S. Marriott, C. D. Rutland, C. J. Reitz, R. D. “Experiments and CFD Modeling of Direct Injection Gasoline HCCI Engine Combustion,” SAE paper 2002-01-1925
- He X. Donovan, M. T. Zigler, B. T. Palmer, T. R. Walton, ‘S. M. Wooldridge, M. S. Atreya, A. “An Experimental and Modeling Study of Isooctane Ignition Delay Times at Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Conditions,” Combustion and Flame 142 266 275 2005
- Dec, J. E. Sjöberg, M. “Isolating the Effects of Fuel Chemistry on Combustion Phasing in an HCCI Engine and the Potential of Fuel Stratification for Ignition Control,” SAE paper 2004-01-0557
- Babajimopoulos, A. Lavoie, G. A. Assanis, D. N. “Modeling HCCI Combustion with High Levels of Residual Gas Fraction - A Comparison of Two VVA Strategies,” SAE paper 2003-01-3220
- Livengood, J. C. Wu, P. C. “Correlation of Auto-ignition Phenomena in internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines,” Proceedings of 5th Symposium (International) on Combustion 347 356 1955
- Woschni, G. “A Universally applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE paper 670931
- Zhao, H. Li, J. Ma, T. Ladommatos, N. “Performance and Analysis of a 4-Stroke Multi Cylinder Gasoline Engine with CAI Combustion,” SAE paper 2002-01-0420
- Olsson, J. Tunestal, P. Johansson, B. Fiveland, S. Agama, R. Willi, M. Assanis, D. N. “Compression Ratio Influence on Maximum Load of a Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine,” SAE paper 2002-01-0111
- Yoo, I. K. Simpson, K. Bell, M. Majkowski, S. “An Engine Coolant Temperature Model and Application for Cooling System Diagnosis,” SAE paper 2000-01-0939