This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Particulate Measurements from a DISI Vehicle: A Comparison of DMS500, ELPI, CPC and PASS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Cambustion Differential Mobility Spectrometer (DMS500), Dekati Electrical Low Pressure Impactor (ELPI), TSI Condensation Particle Counter (CPC) and AVL Photo-Acoustic Soot Sensor (PASS) were compared for measurements of emitted Particulate Matter (PM) from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) vehicle on the New European Drive Cycle (NEDC) and at steady speed operating points. The exhaust was diluted in a Constant Volume Sampler (CVS) before being measured.
Transient size spectral data from the DMS500 and ELPI is presented. PM Number rate and total PM number emissions are presented for the DMS500, ELPI and CPC. The DMS500 and ELPI data are post-processed for PM mass, and presented with data from the PASS. The instrument responses were correlated against each other.
Qualitative agreement was generally found between all instruments. The agreement was closer for PM mass measurements than for measurements of PM number. The correlations were slightly weaker for the DISI exhaust measured here than for measurements of diesel exhaust in the literature.
CitationPrice, P., Stone, R., Collier, T., Davies, M. et al., "Dynamic Particulate Measurements from a DISI Vehicle: A Comparison of DMS500, ELPI, CPC and PASS," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1077, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1077.
SAE 2006 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V115-4 ; Published: 2007-03-30
Number: V115-4 ; Published: 2007-03-30
- Council Directive 70/220/EEC, Motor Vehicle Emissions, Interregs Ltd., 2003.
- Wirth M., Zimmermann, D., Friedfeldt R., Caine, J., Schamel A., Davies, M., Peirce, G., Storch A., Ries-Müller K., Gansert, K.-P., Pilgram, G., Ortmann, R., Würfel G., Gerhardt, J., A Cost Optimised Gasoline Spray Guided Direct Injection System for Improved Fuel Economy. In IMechE Fuel Economy and Engine Downsizing. Seminar Proceedings. (2004).
- Pearson, R., Turner, J, Kenchington, S. Concepts for Improved Fuel Economy from Gasoline Engines. In IMechE Fuel Economy and Engine Downsizing. Seminar Proceedings. (2004).
- Lake, T., Stokes, J., Murphy, R., Downsized DI Gasoline Engines for Low CO2. In IMechE Fuel Economy and Engine Downsizing. Seminar Proceedings. (2004).
- Zhao, F., Lai, M.-C. and Harrington, D.L. Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines. Prog. Energy. Combust. Sci. 25 pp 437-562. (1999).
- Reavell, K. et. al., A Fast Response Particulate Spectrometer for Combustion Aerosols. SAE Paper 2002-01-2714.
- Faxvog, F.R. and Roessler, D.M., Optoacoustic measurements of diesel particulate emissions., J.Appl.Phys., 50(12), 1979.
- Japar, S.M. and Szkarlat, A.C. Measurement of Diesel Exhaust Particulate Using Photoacoustic Spectroscopy. Comb, Sci. Tech. 24 215. (1981).
- Japar, S.M. and Szkarlat, A.C. Real-Time Measurements of Diesel Vehicle Exhaust Particulate Using Photoacoustic Spectroscopy and Total Light Extinction. SAE Technical Paper 811184.
- Schindler, W. et. al., A Photoacoustic Sensor System for Time Resolved Quantification of Diesel Soot Emissions. SAE Paper 2004-01-0968.
- Haisch, C. and Niessner, R., ‘Light and Sound - Photoacoustic Spectroscopy’,Spectroscopy Europe (2002).
- McMurry, P.H., The history of condensation nucleus counters. Aerosol Science and Technology 33:297-322 (2000).
- Baron, P.A. and Willeke, K., (2001). Aerosol Measurement. Principles, Techniques, and Applications. John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Keskinen, J., Pietarinen, K., and Lehtimäki, M. (1992). Electrical Low Pressure Impactor, J.Aerosol Sci., Vol. 23, No. 4, pp.353-360.
- Witze, P.O., (2001). Diagnostics for the Measurement of Particulate Matter Emissions from Reciprocating Engines, Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modelling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines - COMODIA 2001, Nagoya, Japan.
- Witze, P.O. et. al., Time-Resolved Measurements of Exhaust PM for FTP-75: Comparison of LII, ELPI, and TEOM Techniques, SAE Paper 2004-01-0964.
- Maricq MM, Podsiadlik DH, Brehob DD and Haghgooie M, Particulate Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine, SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1530 (1999).
- Kittelson D, Hands T, Nickolaus C, Collings N, Niemela V and Twigg M, Mass correlation of engine emissions with spectral instruments, JSAE 20045462 (2004).
- Virtanen, A., Marjamaki, M., Ristimaki, J. and Keskinen, J. Fine particle losses in electrical low-pressure impactor. J. Aerosol. Sci. 32 pp 389-401. (2001).