This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Potential New Approach for the Evaluation of Occupant Response in Frontal Impact Scenarios
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research describes a different method of approach to evaluate the occupant kinematics and the acceleration pulse as well as injury criteria in different frontal impact scenarios. With the help of the stiffness based impact model of PC-Crash, input data for the multi body simulation code MADYMO was generated to evaluate occupant behavior in different vehicle-to-vehicle frontal impact scenarios. These results were compared and validated against a non linear finite element analysis (LS-Dyna) together with MADYMO to evaluate the accuracy of the PC-Crash/MADYMO analysis.
The results show that the accuracy of the PC-Crash/MADYMO simulations are in close correlation to the LS-Dyna/MADYMO analysis in terms of vehicle acceleration pulse, post impact velocity, occupant acceleration as well as occupant kinematics, belt forces and injury criteria.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Rollover Testing Methods|
|Technical Paper||Improving Offset Crash Performance and Injury Mitigation via Multi-Body Simulation and Structural CAE|
|Technical Paper||Mathematical Modeling of the Hybrid III Dummy Chest with Chest Foam|
CitationMaletz, M., Steffan, H., and Lankarani, H., "A Potential New Approach for the Evaluation of Occupant Response in Frontal Impact Scenarios," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0901, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0901.
- NCAC 1996 Marzougui D. Kan C. Bedewi E. Development and validation of an NCAP simulation using LS-DYNA3D http://ntl.bts.gov/data/ncap.pdf FHWA/NHTSA National Crash Analysis Center June 15th 2004
- U.S. Department of Transportation 1992 Vehicle Safety Compliance Testing for Occupant Crash Protection, Windshield Zone Intrusion, and Fuel Integrity http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/ May 28th 2004
- Madymo About TNO Automotive 2004 htto://automotive.tno.nl/ August 2nd 2004
- U.S. Department of Transportation 1995 Vehicle Safety Compliance Testing for Occupant Crash Protection, Windshield Zone Intrusion, and Fuel Integrity http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/ May 29th 2004
- TNO Automotive 2003
- Linz DSD 2003 PC Crash User Manual 7.1
- Wismans J. 2003 Advances in European Passive Safety Research and Technology Development http://www.automotive.tno.nl/Madymo/Publications/UMAmericas2003/UMNAOhandout2.pdf TNO Automotive June 25th 2004
- Linz DSD 1999 Steffan H. Geigl B. Moser A A New Approach to Occupant Simulation Through the Coupling of PC-Crash and MADYMO SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0444
- NHTSA 1999 Measured Vehicle Inertial Parameters – NHTSA’s Data Through November 1998 SAE Technical Paper 199-01-1336
- Eurostat 2003 Panorama des Verkehrs, http://europa.eu.int/ Sept 14th 2004