This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Reduction Applying Skew Phenomena of Needle Roller Bearings in Brake Actuators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Generally, automobiles have many performance requirements for comfort, of which noise, vibration and harshness are very important. Toyota Motor Corporation equipped several 2003 models with the second-generation Electronically Controlled Brake system (ECB2). These ECB2 actuator units adopted a new structure that reduced pumping noise by controlling the skew phenomena of needle roller bearings. Normally, needle roller bearings are advantageous over other bearings in cases where a large force is loaded on bearings, because the contact areas can be made larger. However, a thrust force arises from skew phenomena because of minute clearances among the component parts of needle roller bearings. As a result, axial vibration of the bearing shaft sometimes occurs due to the thrust force. This paper explains how the thrust force generated from the skew phenomena of needle roller bearings occasionally affects the pumping vibration level of equipped machinery such as the brake actuator unit. Based on this study result, we developed a needle roller bearing that suppresses skew phenomena (i.e., a low-vibration needle roller bearing). Analysis and measurements have revealed that by using the developed bearings and controlling the magnitude and direction of generated thrust force, it is possible to suppress the influence of thrust force on equipment (brake actuator) vibration thereby reducing noise in a vehicle. This paper reports on these studies and findings.
CitationSuzuki, M., Ishida, T., and Kono, S., "Vibration Reduction Applying Skew Phenomena of Needle Roller Bearings in Brake Actuators," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0881, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0881.
- Sota, Munenori Funahashi “Fundamental study of friction torque and thrust forces caused by skewed rollers in needle roller bearings” Lubricant 16 1970
- “Bearings” Iwanami Shoten Books 1964
- “Harijou Koro Jikuuke” NSK Books Bearing Production Company
- Funabashi, Koichi “Some Effects of Spacer Cages on Needle Roller Bearings” Lubricant 8.6 1963
- Funabashi, Koichi “Distribution of Skewing on Rollers in Needle Roller Bearings” Lubricant 10.6 1965
- “Dynamic Characteristics of Needle Roller Bearings (3)” Lubricant 9.5 1964