This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Rh-Intelligent Catalyst
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We have developed a Pd-intelligent catalyst with a self-regenerative function that is realized by the passage of Pd through consecutive solid solution and segregation states in and out of a perovskite crystal, and commercialized it for the first time in the world [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9].
In this study, we investigated the self-regenerative function of Rh as an alternative for Pd, in two types of Rh-perovskite (LaFeRhO3 and CaTiRhO3), and found that a CaTiRhO3 perovskite has an excellent capacity for the self-regenerative function of Rh. In a LaFeRhO3 perovskite with a composition similar to the Pd-perovskite (LaFePdO3), Rh was fixed so stably in the perovskite structure that it hardly segregated from the perovskite even in high temperature reduction atmospheres. However, in the CaTiRhO3 perovskite, with its A2+B4+O3 formula, the amount of Rh that actually segregated increased greatly in reduction atmospheres. Under re-oxidization atmospheres, all of the Rh that segregated were returned to the perovskite lattice. These results show that Rh in CaTiRhO3 has an excellent self-regenerative function.
Due to the self-regenerative function of Rh and Pd, the full-scale Rh-Pd-intelligent catalyst containing a new CaTiRhO3 perovskite and a Pd-perovskite (LaFePdO3) exhibited excellent catalytic activity even after aging and this in spite of having reduced the amount of precious metals sharply.
The intelligent catalyst technology is expected to solve the problem of supply and demand for precious metals that has been deepening on a worldwide scale.
- Kazuya Naito - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Hirohisa Tanaka - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Masashi Taniguchi - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Mari Uenishi - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Isao Tan - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Nobuhiko Kajita - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Ichiro Takahashi - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Hiromasa Suzuki - Cataler Corporation
- Keiichi Narita - Cataler Corporation
- Akimasa Hirai - Cataler Corporation
- Mareo Kimura - Cataler Corporation
- Yasuo Nishihata - Japan Atomic Energy Agency
- Jun'ichiro Mizuki - Japan Atomic Energy Agency
CitationNaito, K., Tanaka, H., Taniguchi, M., Uenishi, M. et al., "Development of a Rh-Intelligent Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0851, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0851.
Advanced Catalysts and Substrates, 2006
Number: SP-2025; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2025; Published: 2006-04-03
- Tanaka H. Fujikawa H. Takahashi I. SAE Paper No. 930251 1993
- Tanaka H. Takahashi I. Kimura M. Sobukawa H. “Science and Technology in Catalysis 1994” Kodansya-Elsevier 457 1994
- Tanaka H. Fujikawa H. Takahashi I. SAE Paper No. 950256 1995
- Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Tan I. Kimura M. Mizuki J. Nishihata Y. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1301 2001
- Kajita N. Uenishi M. Tan I. Tanaka H. Kimura M. SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0735 2002
- Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Kimura M. Okamoto T. Akao T. Hamada N. Nature 418 164 166 2002
- Tan I. Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Kajita N. Taniguchi M. Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0812 2003
- Sato N. Tanaka H. Tan I. Uenishi M. Kajita N. Taniguchi M. Narita K. Kimura M. SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0813 2003
- Taniguchi M. Uenishi M. Tan I. Tanaka H. Kimura M. Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1272 2004
- Platinum 2004 Interim Revew Johnson Matthey 2004
- Tanaka H. Yamamoto M. SAE Paper NO. 960794 1996
- Sims G.S. Johri S. SAE Paper NO. 881589 1988
- Tanaka H. Taniguchi M. Uenishi M. Kajita N. Tan I. Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. Narita K. Kimura M. Kaneko K. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. submitted
- Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Taniguchi M. Tan I. Narita K. Kimura M. Kaneko K. Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. Catalysis Today submitted