This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of a Cogeneration System in the Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As more electric utilities deregulate, the economic benefits of using cogeneration systems as an energy asset need to be fully understood by the owners and operators of large manufacturing plants to maximize reliability and profitability. Multiple prime movers (generator sets) are becoming commonplace in large industrial facilities. The power requirements for a manufacturing plant and the plant's ability to match the thermal load of the cogeneration system to the thermal requirements of the plant become even more critical, and consequently more complicated, in the case where multiple prime movers are present. This paper will discuss the benefits of cogeneration in the automotive industry and examine one such case, a large industrial manufacturer with several cogeneration prime movers of differing capabilities at a single site.
CitationSpentzas, S., Chimack, M., and Worek, W., "Optimization of a Cogeneration System in the Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0831, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0831.
- “Environmental Report 2000.” http://www.mazda.com/environment/2000/p20-1.html
- International Automobile Manufacturers “Industry as a Partner For Sustainable Development.” 2002
- Cropper Mark Fuel Cell Today “Fuel Cells in Japan: Residential Applications.” http://www.fuelcelltoday.com/FuelCellToday/IndustryInformation/IndustryInformationExternal/Reports/DisplayReport/0,1742,320,00.html October 2001
- Energy Information Administration “Technologies and Equipment: Metal Casting Industry Analysis Brief.” http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/mecs/iab/metalcasting/page4.html May 2000
- Stone Amey Business Week “Detroit's Woe, America's Worry.” http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/ apr2005/nf20050426_7826_db035.htm April 2005
- The Economist “Extinction of a Predator” http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=4369762 September 2005
- Midwest CHP Application Center “CHP Resource Guide Book.” http://www.chpcentermw.org/pdfs/chp_resource_guide_2003sep.pdf September 2003
- Petchers Niel Combined Heating, Cooling and Power Handbook: Technologies and Applications The Fairmont Press Inc. Lilburn, GA 2003
- Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability “GridWorks” http://www.energetics.com/gridworks/grid.html