This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Study of Design Parameters on Cooling Performance of a Brake Disk
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Convection heat transfer coefficients for surfaces of a brake disk are calculated, and effects of design parameters including dimensions and boundary conditions on temperature distributions of brake disks are investigated by using a three-dimensional finite element model. The maximum temperature occurs near the middle of the inner brake plate. The effect of the thickness of the supporting portion on the temperature distribution of brake disks is insignificant. Increasing the disk fillet radius decreases the temperature distribution of the brake.
|Technical Paper||Sensitivity Study on Brake Cooling Performance|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Brake Disc Design System|
|Technical Paper||Finite Difference Heat Transfer Model of a Steel-clad Aluminum Brake Rotor|
CitationHuang, Y. and Chen, S., "Analytical Study of Design Parameters on Cooling Performance of a Brake Disk," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0692, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0692.
- Yoshio, J. Takahiro, M. Kouichi, A. Hiromichi, M. Manabu, Y. Akihiko, O. 1990 Development of High Thermal Conductivity Cast Iron for Brake Disk Rotors,” SAE Special Publications ABS Traction Control and Brake, Components, n 815, 900002 22 28 0099-5908
- Tirovic, M. Day, A.J. 1991 Disc Brake Interface Pressure Distributions,” SAE Transactions 99 653 660 0954-4070
- Aleksandrov, M. P. Nosko, A. L. 1991 Design for Heat in Braking Systems with Small Angle of Mutual Overlapping (Exemplified by Disc-Pad Brakes of Materials Handling Machines),” Sumitomo Metals 45 6 23 32 0202-4977
- Benseddiq, N. Weichert, D. Seidermann J. Minet, M. 1996 Optimization of Design of Railway Disc Brake Pads,” Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit 210 1 51 6 0954-40971
- Grieve, D. G. Barton, D. C. Crolla, D. A. Buckingham, J. T. 1998 Design of a Lightweight Automotive Brake Disc Using Finite Element and Taguchi Techniques,” Journal of Automobile Engineering 212 4 245 254 0954-4070
- Abd-Rabou, M 1999 Towards the Minimization of Braking Surface Temperature,” Journal of Engineering and Applied Science 46 6 1075 1088 1110-1903
- Kao, T. K. Richmond, J. W. Douarre, A. 2000 Brake Disc Hot Spotting and Thermal Judder: an Experimental and Finite Element Study,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 23 3 276 296 0143-3369
- Jacobsson, H. 2001 Brake Judder,” 1766 i+1 39 0346-718X
- Huang, Yuan Mao Chen, Shih-Han 2005 “The Transient Thermal Stress and Deflection of a Disk Brake,” ASME World Tribology Congress III 1 8
- Limpert, R. 1999 Brake Design and Safety SAE 1560919159
- Valvano, T. Lee, K. 2000 An Analytical Method to Predict Thermal Distortion of a Brake Rotor,” SAE 2000-01-0445 0148-7191
- Mills, A. F. 1999 Heat Transfer 2nd Prentice Hall, Inc. 362 365 0139476245