This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robust Parameter Estimation Algorithms for Nonlinear Aftertreatment Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An easy-to-use implementation of a Differential Evolution Based Stochastic Optimizer (DEBSO) for nonlinear, multi-modal problems is presented. Using two case studies, we demonstrate that DEBSO is (1) more effective and (2) less sensitive to user defined initial guess values, in finding the global optimum, as compared to that of a gradient based deterministic optimizer. Results from using DEBSO for construction of empirical catalyst maps from pulsator data and estimation of parameters in a diesel oxidation catalyst model are also presented. The effectiveness and efficiency of DEBSO has been compared to other evolution-based optimizers in Appendix A.
CitationKatare, S., "Robust Parameter Estimation Algorithms for Nonlinear Aftertreatment Models," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0690, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0690.
SAE 2006 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V115-4; Published: 2007-03-30
Number: V115-4; Published: 2007-03-30
- Marquardt, D.W. Journal of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics 1963 11 431 441
- Goldberg, D.E. Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning 1989 Addison-Wesley
- Price, K. Storn R. Lampinen J. Differential Evolution - A Practical Approach to Global Optimization 2005 Springer
- Kennedy, J. Eberhart R.C. Shi Y. Swarm Intelligence 2001 San Fransisco, CA Morgan Kaufmann
- Jones, D.R. Perttunen C.D. Stuckman B.E. Lipschitzian Optimization without the Lipschitz Constant Journal of Optimization Theory and Application 1993 79 1 157 181
- Markel, T. Brooker A. Hendricks T. Johnson V. Kelly K. Kramer B. O'Keefe M. Sprik S. Wipke K. ADVISOR: A Systems Analysis Tool for Advanced Vehicle Modeling Journal of Power Sources 2002 110 2 255 266
- MATLAB 2004 Mathworks Inc.
- Katare, S. A Rational Automated Knowledge Framework for Reaction Kinetic Modeling and Catalyst Design, In School of Chemical Engineering 2003 Purdue University West Lafayette 241
- Teh, Y.S. Rangaiah G.P. A Study of Equation-solving and Gibbs Free Energy Minimization Methods for Phase Equilibrium Calculations Institution of Chemical Engineers Transactions of IChemE. 2002 80 745 759
- Laing, P. Shane M.D. Son S. Adamczyk A. Li P. A Simplified Approach to Modeling Exhaust System Emissions: SIMTWC SAE World Congress, SAE 1999-01-3476 1999
- Hepburn, J.S. Dobson D.A. Hubbard C.P. Otto K. The Pulse Flame Combustor Revisited SAE World Congress, SAE 962118 1996 San Antonio, Texas
- Montgomery, D.C. Runger G.C. Applied Statistics and Probability For Engineers 2nd 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Katare, S. Laing P.M. A Hybrid Model of a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Ford Research and Advanced Engineering Technical Reports 2005
- Goralski, C.T. Chanko T. Lupescu J. Ganti G. Experimental and Modeling Investigation of Catalyzed Hydrocarbon Trap Performance SAE World Congress, SAE 2000-01-0654 2000 Detroit, MI
- Oh, S.H. Cavendish J.C. Transients of Monolithic Catalytic Converters: Response to Step Changes in Feedstream Temperature as Related to Controlling Automobile Emissions Industrial & Engineering Chemistry: Product Research & Development 1982 21 29 37
- Venkatasubramanian, V. Sundaram A. Genetic Algorithms: Introduction and Applications, In Encyclopedia of Computational Chemistry Schleyer P.v.R. Schreiner P.R. 1997 John Wiley & Sons New York 1115 1127
- Katare, S. Bhan A. Caruthers J.M. Delgass W.N. Venkatasubramanian V. A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for Efficient Parameter Estimation of Large Scale Reaction Networks Computers and Chemical Engineering 2004 28 12 2569 2581
- Katare, S. Venkatasubramanian V. An agent-based learning framework for modeling microbial growth Engineering applications of artificial intelligence 2001 14 715 726
- Katare, S. Kalos A. West D. A hybrid particle swarm optimizer for efficient parameter estimation Congress on Evolutionary Computation 2004 Portland, OR IEEE
- Katare, S. West D. Optimal Complex Networks Spontaneously Emerge When Information Transfer is Maximized at Least Expense: A Design Perspective Complexity June 2005
- Storn, R. Price K. Differential Evolution - A Simple and Efficient Heuristic for Global Optimization over Continuous Spaces Journal of Global Optimization 1997 11 341 359
- Storn, R. Fiwiz: Digital Filter Design Software March 2005
- Babu, B.V. Sastry K.K.N. Estimation of heat-transfer parameters in a trickle-bed reactor using differential evolution and orthogonal collocation Computers & Chemical Engineering 2003 23 327 339