This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Airbag Porosity, Mass Flow and Load Limiter on the 5th and 50th Hybrid Dummies in a 35 Mph Crash
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Restraint systems play an important role in managing the energy of occupants during a crash event. Belt and airbag systems complement each other in order to gradually decelerate the occupant. However, the seating position of the 5th percentile female and 50th percentile male occupants forces the need to manage this energy in different ways. MADYMO simulation of a generic vehicle-restraint system with a driver side 5th and a 50th percentile Hybrid III dummy were done for a typical frontal impact. The belt system had a retractor/load limiter, but no pretensioner. The effect of airbag fabric porosity, inflation rate and seat belt load limiting ability were evaluated for both occupants. Parameters examined that affect system rebalancing to achieve the highest star rating were HIC and 3ms Chest acceleration.
CitationRao, A., Hassan, J., and Nusholtz, G., "Effect of Airbag Porosity, Mass Flow and Load Limiter on the 5th and 50th Hybrid Dummies in a 35 Mph Crash," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0677, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0677.
- Agaram, V. Xu Lan Wu Jianping Kostyniuk Gregory Nusholtz Guy “Comparison of Frontal Crashes in Terms of Average Acceleration” SAE 2000-01-0880
- IIHS frontal impact test protocol http://www.iihs.org
- Kahane, C.J. Hackney, J.R. Berkowitz, A.M. “Correlation of vehicle performance in the new car assessment program with fatility risks in actual head-on collissions” Proceedings of Fourteenth International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (15 ESV) May 1994
- MADYMO Utilities Manual TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 2000
- Meyerson, S.L. Nolan, J. ”Effects of geometry and stiffness on the frontal compatibility of utility vehicles” Proceedings of the Seventeenth International Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (17 ESV) June 2001
- Park, B.T. Hackney J.R. Morgan, R.M. Chan. H. Lowrie, J.C. Devlin, H.E. “The New Car Assessemenet Program: has it led to stiffer light trucks and vans over the years?” SAE 1999-01-0064
- Ridella S.A. McCann, M.J. Turnbull, R.C. Bayley, G.S. “Development of Restraint Systems with Considerations for Equality of Injury Risk” ESV 2005
- Walz, M. “NCAP Test Improvements with Pretensioners and Load Limitesr” NHTSA March 2003