This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Measurement of Liner - Piston Skirt Oil Film Thickness by an Ultrasonic Means
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a novel method for the measurement of lubricant film thickness in the piston-liner contact. Direct measurement of the film in this conjunction has always posed a problem, particularly under fired conditions. The principle is based on capturing and analysing the reflection of an ultrasonic pulse at the oil film. The proportion of the wave amplitude reflected can be related to the thickness of the oil film.
A single cylinder 4-stroke engine on a dyno test platform was used for evaluation of the method. A piezo-electric transducer was bonded to the outside of the cylinder liner and used to emit high frequency short duration ultrasonic pulses. These pulses were used to determine the oil film thickness as the piston skirt passed over the sensor location. Oil films in the range 2 to 21 μm were recorded varying with engine speeds. The results have been shown to be in agreement with detailed numerical predictions.
- S. Balakrishnan - Loughborough University
- P. D. King - Loughborough University
- H. Rahnejat - Loughborough University
- R. S. Dwyer-Joyce - University of Sheffield
- D. A. Green - University of Sheffield
- P. Harper - University of Sheffield
- R. Lewis - University of Sheffield
- S. Howell-Smith - Perfect Bore Ltd.
CitationDwyer-Joyce, R., Green, D., Harper, P., Lewis, R. et al., "The Measurement of Liner - Piston Skirt Oil Film Thickness by an Ultrasonic Means," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0648, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0648.
CI & SI Power Cylinder Systems and Power Boost Technology 2006
Number: SP-2013; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2013; Published: 2006-04-03
- Andersson, B.S. 1991 Company's perspective in vehicle tribology Leeds-Lyon Symp. on Trib. Elsevier 503 506
- Balakrishnan, S. Rahnejat, H. 2005 Isothermal transient analysis of piston skirt-to-cylinder wall contacts under combined axial, lateral and tilting motion J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 38 787 79
- Brown M.A. McCann, H. Thompson, D.M. 1993 Characterization of the oil film behaviour between the liner and piston of a heavy duty diesel engine Tribological Insights and Performance Characteristics of Modern Engine Lubricants, SAE/SP-93/996/932784
- Graddage, M.J. Czysz, F.J. Killinger, A. 1993 Field testing to validate models used in explaining a piston problem in a large diesel engine Transactions of the ASME J. Eng. Gas Turb. Power 115 721 727
- Richardson, D.E. Borman, G.L. 1991 Using Fibre Optics and Laser Fluorescence for Measuring Thin Oil Films with Applications to Engines SAE Paper 912388
- Shaw, B.T. Hoult, D.P. Wong. V. 1992 Development of Engine Lubricant Film Thickness Diagnostics Using Fiber Optics and Laser Fluorescence SAE Technical Paper 920651
- Seki, T. Nakayama, K. Yamada, T. Yoshida, A. Takiguchi, M. 2000 A study on variation in oil film thickness of a piston ring package: variation of oil film thickness in piston sliding direction Jap. Soc. Auto. Eng. Review 21 315 320
- Grice, N. Sherrington, I. 1993 An experimental investigation into the lubrication of piston-rings in an internal combustion engine - oil film thickness trends, film stability and cavitation SAE Paper 920651
- Dwyer-Joyce, R.S. Drinkwater, B.W. Donohoe, C.J. 2002 “The Measurement of Lubricant Film Thickness using Ultrasound” Proc. Roy. Soc. 459A 957 976
- Dwyer-Joyce, R.S. Harper, P. Pritchard, J Drinkwater, B. 2003 ‘Investigation into Film Formation in a Hydro-Electric Power Station Thrust Bearing’ STLE Trib. Trans.
- Dwyer-Joyce, R.S. Harper, P. Drinkwater, B. 2004 ‘A Method for the Measurement of Hydrodynamic Oil Films Using Ultrasonic Reflection’ Trib. Let. 17 337 348
- Dwyer-Joyce, R.S. Reddyhoff, T. Drinkwater, B. 2004 ‘Operating Limits for Acoustic Measurement of Rolling Bearing Oil Film Thickness’ STLE Trib. Trans. 366 375 47
- Harper, P. Dwyer-Joyce, R.S. Sjödin, U. Olofsson, O 2005 Evaluation of an Ultrasonic Method for Measurement of Oil Film Thickness in a Hydraulic Motor Piston Ring Proc. 31th Leeds-Lyon Symp. on Trib. Elsevier
- Balakrishnan, S. Rahnejat, H. 2002 “Combined secondary piston dynamics and transient elastohydrodynamic analysis of piston skirt to cylinder contact conjunctions” AIMETA Symp. Salerno, Italy