This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Nighttime Pedestrian Recognition Assistance System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A nighttime pedestrian recognition assistance system that is expected to help reduce nighttime pedestrian accidents has been developed.
This system is fitted with far-infrared stereo cameras that can make an image of what is ahead, even when it is dark. The system displays the image on a heads-up display directly in front of the driver. At the same time, through the use of image processing, pedestrians crossing the road ahead, as well as those on the side of the road are detected, and the driver is informed of their presence, with a warning sound and via framed highlight of the pedestrian in the display image.
This system's pedestrian detection algorithm is based on stereoscopic distance data. The system identifies pedestrians through their position and movement as well as size and shape. Results of evaluations on suburban and city roads show good detection performance.
In addition, the results of monitor driving tests using this system, carried out on public roads using test subjects, have confirmed that this system is effective in detecting pedestrians at night.
CitationTsuji, T., Hashimoto, H., Nagaoka, N., and Takatsudo, I., "Development of a Nighttime Pedestrian Recognition Assistance System," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0461, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0461.
- Asanuma N. et al. “Introduction of HONDA ASV-2 (Passenger Vehicle)” HONDA R&D Technical Review 12 2 1 8 2000
- Tsuji T. Hattori H. Watanabe M. Nagaoka N. “Development of a Night Vision System,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 3 3 173 178 July 2002
- Tsuji T. Hattori H. Watanabe M. Nagaoka N. “Development of Night-Vision System,” IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INTELLIGENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM 3 3 203 209 Sep. 2002
- Tsuji T. Nagaoka N. Hashimoto H. “Development of a Nighttime Pedestrian Recognition Assistance System,” Proceedings of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 53-05 1 6 May 2005
- Traffic Statistics 2004 Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis 14 15 Apr. 2005
- Police Headquarters Road Transport Office Traffic Safety Association The whole Japanese Designated Car School Society Combination Meeting 36 2004
- Matsuyama T. Kuno Y. Imiya A. Computer Vision Technology Review and Future Prospects 123 137 1998
- Tanabe J. et al. “Visconti: Multi-VLIW Image Recognition Processor based on Configurable Processor” Proc. of IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference 185 188 2003
- Image Analysis Handbook University of Tokyo Press Tokyo 1991 40 43
- Hirota M. Saito S. Morita S. Fukuhara H. “Nighttime pedestrian monitoring system and thermal infrared technology,” Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 50 11 58 63 1996
- Adachi T. Yoshioka T. Morioka S. Matsuoka S. “Development of Recognition Algorithm for Crossing Pedestrian Using Laser Radar System,” Proceedings of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 961 363 366 1996
- Uno H. Hiramatsu K. “Time margins under emergency conditions and their relationship to driver steering avoidance,” Journal of Japan Ergonomics Society 35 4 219 227 1999