This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Variable Valve Timing on the Combustion Process of a Small Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) technology is more and more adopted in modern spark-ignition engines for the optimization of torque delivery. Furthermore, a proper choice of valve timing could reduce the typical pumping losses of these engines thus improving fuel economy at part load.
VVT mainly influences gas exchange processes, then the engine volumetric efficiency; in some circumstances, variations of valve timing could modify the charge composition and therefore the flame development and propagation.
In this paper, the combustion process of a small displacement, 2 valve, spark-ignition engine, with variable valve timing, has been numerically and experimentally analyzed.
The use of VVT allows obtaining combined internal EGR and Reverse Miller Cycle effects so to achieve a significant dethrottling at part load operation.
A 3-D computer code has been utilized in order to calculate the details of the flow field within the cylinder and the combustion rate at different valve points. Calculated in-cylinder pressure values have been compared to measured data. Retarded positions of the cam phaser allow controlling engine load with a moderate increase in pumping work, however the consequent increase in residual gas fractions could worsen the combustion quality. This point has been analyzed in details by means of both numerical simulations and experimental tests.
The VVT technology has been resulted an effective way in reducing pumping losses at part load; associating this technique to charge motion optimization allows obtaining good combustion quality. In a few words, the engine efficiency could be increased.
CitationFontana, G., Galloni, E., Palmaccio, R., and Torella, E., "The Influence of Variable Valve Timing on the Combustion Process of a Small Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0445, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0445.
- Tuttle J. H. “Controlling Engine Load by Means of Late Intake-Valve Closing” SAE paper no. 800794
- Parvate-Patil G. B. Hong H. Gordon B. “An Assessment of Intake and Exhaust Philosophies for Variable Valve Timing” SAE Paper no. 2003-32-0078
- Hara S. Nakajiama Y. Naguma S. “Effects of Intake-Valve Closing Timing on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion” SAE paper no. 850074
- Fiorenza R. Pirelli M. Torella E. et al. “Variable Swirl and Internal EGR by VVT Application on Small Displacement 2 Valve SI Engines: an Intelligent Technology Combination” FISITA, Paper no. F2004V194
- Fiorenza R. Pirelli M. Torella E. et al. “VVT + Port Deactivation Application on a Small Displacement SI 4 Cylinder 16 Valve Engine: an Effective Way to Reduce Vehicle Fuel Consumption” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-0020
- Tatschl R. Wieser K. Reitbauer R. 1994 “Multidimensional Simulation of Flow Evolution, Mixture Preparation and Combustion in a 4-Valve SI Engine” International Symposium COMODIA 94 Yokohama
- Tatschl R. et al. “Rapid Meshing and Advanced Physical Modeling for Gasoline DI Engine Application” International Multidimensional Modeling User's Group Meeting at the SAE Congress Detroit 2000
- AVL FIRE Handbook April 2000
- Fontana G. Galloni E. Jannelli E. Palmaccio R. “Influence of the Intake System Design on a Small Spark-Ignition Engine Performance. A Theoretical Analysis” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-3134
- Fontana G. Galloni E. Palmaccio R. Torella E. “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Different Combustion Chambers for a Small Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper no. 2004-01-1998
- Candel S. Poinsot T. “Flame stretch and the balance equation for the flame area” Combustion Science and Technology 1990
- Cheng W. K. Diringer J. A. “Numerical Modeling of SI Engine Combustion with a Flame Sheet Model” SAE Paper no. 910268
- Choi C. R., Huh K. Y. “Development of a Coherent Flamelet Model for a Spark-Ignited Turbulent Premixed Flame in a Closed Vessel” Combustion and Flame 1998
- Fontana G. Galloni E. Palmaccio R. 2003 “Development of a New Intake System for a Small Spark-Ignition Engine: Modeling the Flow through the Inlet Valve” SAE Paper no. 2003-01-0369
- Wu Chih Puzinauskas Paul V. Tsai Jung S. “Performances analysis and optimization of a supercharged Miller cycle Otto engine” Applied Thermal Engineering 511 521 2003
- Fontana G. Galloni E. Torella E. “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Small VVT S.I. Engine” SAE Paper no. SAE-NA 2005-24-079
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill International 1988
- Zeldovich Y. B. Sadovnikov P. Y. Frank-Kamenetskii “Oxidation of Nitrogen in Combustion” Institute of Chemical Physics Moscow-Leningrad 1947