This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Approach for Development of an Automotive Bucket Seat Frame
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a design and development approach for automotive bucket seat frame using a parametric modeling and a finite element analysis methodology. This approach is expected to help build a lightweight seat structure quickly and efficiently. This approach is general, and it can be applied in designing and developing any mechanical structural component. The design process involves, first parametric modeling of the front bucket seat frame using Pro E. This CAD model was then optimized using optimization software called Optistruct, for two cases of load case and boundary condition. The optimized design was then tested for FMVSS seat requirements using LS-DYNA. The dynamic nature of the design approach helps in changing design parameters during different stages of the design process, until the seat structure satisfies the design criteria and the strength requirements. The construction and testing of this design and the design model are still under progress.
|Technical Paper||Human Modeling in the Product Lifecycle Management of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner ™|
|Journal Article||Robust Optimal Design for Enhancing Vehicle Handling Performance|
|Technical Paper||Color Shading Technology for Design CAD Systems|
CitationBhat, N., Kang, H., and Bhise, V., "Parametric Approach for Development of an Automotive Bucket Seat Frame," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0366, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0366.
- Bartlett T. “Case Steady: Feasibility of Magnesium for a Light weight Automotive Seat Frame Application,” SAE 950423
- Colasanti E. “Design and Development of Light weight Front Bucket seat Frame Using Magnesium Extrusions and Stampings,” SAE 940406
- Gupta V. Heckert M. Palmieri J. Korchnak G. Kurtycz E. “All Thermoplastic Light weight Structural Rear Seat Back,” SAE 2001-01-0324
- Huston R. Genaidy A. “Design Parameters for safe and Comfortable and safe vehicle seats,” SAE 971132
- Wainwright J. Verellen L. Glance P. “Integrated Restraint Seat with Composite Frame,” SAE 940218
- Fantetti N. “High Ductility Magnesium Seat Back Structure,” SAE 940404
- Gupta V. Menon R. Gupta S. Mani A. Shanmugavelu I. Kossar J. “Improved Occupant Protection through advanced seat design,” Fifteenth International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Melbourne, Australia May 13 1996 Paper No 96-S1-O-08
- Brambilla S. Perotti P. “Die Casted Magnesium Front Seat Frame: An Application for small and medium size cars,” SAE 970323
- Kim H. G. Choe G. H. Lee B. H. Cho Y. T. “Structural Analysis for lightweight design of a seat frame in automotive vehicles,” Key Engineering Materials 177-180 2000 799 804
- Woo H. K. Kim S. B. Kim H. Y. “A study of the development of aluminum seat frame for commercial bus,” SAE 2003-01-2818
- Kang S. J. Chun B. K. “An effective approach to prediction of the collapse mode in automotive seat structure,” Thin Walled Structures 37 2000 113 125
- LeBeau S. Walukas M. Decker R. Labelle P. Moore A. Jones J. “Evaluation of Thixomolded, magnesium alloy components for structural automotive applications,” SAE 2004-01-0137
- Brennan J. “Recent Applications of topology and topography optimization in automotive design,” AIAA-2000-4709
- Schramm U. Thomas H. Zhou M. “Manufacturing Considerations and Structural optimization for automotive components,” SAE 2002-01-1242
- Nelson E. “Draw Direction Constraints in Topology Optimization- A Practical Example,” SAE 2003-01-1306
- Massone A. Monaco M. Bajardi M. “Improvement of Seat Development Process by means of Parametric/Associative CAD and Data Management Tools,” SAE 1997-20-0106
- Pattanaik S. Clark J. Sandula J. Thyagarajan R. “Rapid CAE Analysis from Parametric Solid Model Assemblies of Instrument Panel Structures,” SAE 980388
- Hill W. Sringari S. “A parametric approach for rapid design and analysis of automotive HVAC defrost systems,” SAE 2001-01-0584
- Bhise V. Kridli G. Mamoola H. Devaraj S. Pillai A. Shulze R. “Development of a Parametric Model for Advanced Vehicle Design,” SAE 2004-01-0381
- Shih R. Parametric Modeling with Pro E Wildfire SDC Publications 2004
- Optistruct 2.0 manual Altair Computing Inc.
- LS-DYNA 970-keyword user's manual LSTC