This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Test Rig for the Aerodynamic Development of a Door Mirror
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Door mirrors have a small but measurable contribution to the overall aerodynamic drag of a road vehicle. Typically for passenger cars and SUVs this is in the range 2.5–5%. It can be difficult to refine the shape of door mirrors as the improvements are, sometimes, too small to measure with any accuracy. A test rig has been developed which allows a full size door mirror to be tested in a model wind tunnel facility, which has better balance resolution, where the mirror is mounted to a partial vehicle body. This also results in a faster and cheaper method to develop shapes for door mirrors. The rig is described and the initial correlation tests presented. The limitations of the rig and some further applications are discussed.
CitationHowell, J., Windsor, S., and Le Good, G., "A Novel Test Rig for the Aerodynamic Development of a Door Mirror," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0340, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0340.
- Hucho, W-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles 4th SAE 1998
- Carr, G. W. Potential for Aerodynamic Drag Reduction in Car Design Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design, SP3 International Association for Vehicle Design London 1983
- Watanabe, M. Harita, M. Hayashi, E. The Effect of body Shapes on Wind noise SAE 780266 1978
- Cogotti, A. Flowfield Measurements and their Interpretation Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics – Advanced Experimental Techniques, Euromotor Conference Stuttgart 2000
- Watkins, S. Oswald, G. The Flow Field of Automobile Add-Ons – with Particular Reference to the Vibration of External Mirrors Journal of wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 83 541 554 1999
- Ehlert, G. J. Chapman, R. J. Thomas, R. S. Wind Noise and Aerodynamic Drag Optimisation of Outside Rear View Mirrors SAE 931292 1993
- Iacovoni, D. P. Zeuty, E. J. Morello, D. A. Wind noise and Drag Optimization Test Method for Sail-Mounted Exterior Mirrors SAE 2003-01-1702 2003
- Watkins, S. On the Causes of image Blurring in External Rear View Mirrors SAE 2004-01-1309 2004
- Bannister, M. Drag and Dirt Deposition Mechanisms of External Rear View Mirrors and Techniques Used for Optimisation SAE 2000-01-0486 , 2000. See also Rearview Mirror Optimisation, Automotive Engineering International 109 March 2001
- Cresswell, M. G. L. Hertz, P. B. Aerodynamic Drag Implications of Exterior Truck Mirrors SAE 92024 1992
- Ito, M. Ohashi, Y. Imaeda, K. Murata, O. Kuroishi, M. A Study of Bench Test for Aerodynamic Noise around the Door Mirror JSAE 988320 1998
- Dominy, R. G. Flow Unsteadiness over Passenger Vehicle Rear Surfaces I Mech E Autotech ‘95 Conference Birmingham 1995
- Stapleford, W. R. Carr, G. W. Aerodynamic Noise in Road Vehicles: Part 1 1971
- Burnett, M. Lock, A. Aeroacoustic Testing in MIRA’s full Scale Wind Tunnel 5 th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference Warwick 2004