This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Defining Knock Characteristics and Autoignition Conditions of LPG with a Possible Correlation for the Control Strategy in a SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation of some engine knock characteristics of commercial LPG with 83…87% propane and 9…15% alkenes has been carried out on a spark ignition engine for heavy-duty vehicles. The best possibilities for defining the knock characteristics by the cylinder pressure record analysis were examined first. Some particularities of LPG autoignition in an engine were also put forth, considering the critical pressure and end-gas temperature, and the heat release rates due the critical reactions prior to autoignition; these particularities were compared with previous findings for pure propane. The problem of a possible correlation between knock intensity and the parameters used by an algorithm for combustion control was also approached.
CitationChiriac, R., Radu, B., and Apostolescu, N., "Defining Knock Characteristics and Autoignition Conditions of LPG with a Possible Correlation for the Control Strategy in a SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0227, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0227.
SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology
Number: SP-2016 ; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2016 ; Published: 2006-04-03
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mc Graw - Hill, New York, 1989.
- Apostolescu, N., Chiriac, R., Combustion process in internal combustion engines (in romanian), Ed. Tehnică, Bucureşti, 1998.
- Chun, K.M., Heywood, J.B., Characterization of knock in a spark-ignition engine. SAE Paper 890156, 1989.
- Bäuerle, B., Warnatz, J., Behrendt, F., Time resolved investigation of hot spots in the end-gas of an SI engine by means of 2-D double-pulse LIF of formaldehyde. 20th Symp. (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, p. 2619, 1996.
- König, G., Sheppard, C.G.W., End-gas autoignition and knock in a spark ignition engine, SAE Paper 902135, 1990.
- König, G., Maly, R.R., Bradley, D., Lau, A.K.C., Sheppard, C.G.W. Role of exothermic centers on knock initiation and knock damage. SAE Paper 902136, 1990.
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Snowdon, P., McDonald, C.R. Studies of knock in a spark ignition engine with “CARS” temperature measurements and using different fuels. SAE Paper 950690, 1995.
- Bood, J., Bengtsson, P.E., Mauss, F., Burgdorf, K., Denbratt, I., Knock in spark-ignition engine: end-gas temperature measurements using rotational CARS and detailed calculations of the autoignition process. SAE Paper 971669, 1997.
- Grandin, B., Denbratt, I., Bood, J., Brackmann, C., Bengtsson, P.E., The effect of knock on the heat transfer in an SI engine: thermal boundary layer investigation using CARS temperature measurements and heat flux measurements. SAE Paper 2000-01-2831, 2000.
- Westbrook, C., Chemical kinetics of hydrocarbon ignition in practical combustion systems, 28th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 2000.
- Leppard, W.R., A comparison of olefin and paraffin autoignition chemistries: a motored - engine study, SAE Paper 892081, 1989.
- Van Hai Nguyen, Antonik, S., Sochet, L.R., Luquin. M., Rôle des ethyleniques dans l'oxidation et la combustion des hydrocarbures saturées. Bull. Soc. Chim. France, 2150, 1970.
- Wilk, R.D., Cernansky, N.P., Cohen, R.S., An experimental study of propene oxidation at low and intermediate temperatures, Combust. Sci. and Techn. 52, p.39, 1987.
- Sellman M.C., Matekunas F.A., Battiston P.A., Chang C.F., Lancaster D.R., Cylinder-pressure based engine control using pressure - ratio - management and low cost non - intrusive cylinder pressure sensors. SAE Paper 2000 - 01-0932, 2000.
- Taglialatela F., Mosseli G., Lavorgna M., Engine knock detection and control using in cylinder pressure signal and soft computing techniques SAE Paper 2005-24-061, 2005.
- Brunt, M.F.J., Pond, C.R., Biundo, J. - Gasoline engine knock analysis using cylinder pressure data. SAE Paper 980896, 1989.
- Goto, S., Itoh, Y. - Development of lean burn high output spark ignited gas engines (experimental study in lean gas engines). Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engrs., Part B,vol63, nr 607, p. 1055, 1997.
- Thomas, J.R. - A test to evaluate the influences of natural gas composition and knock intensity. Trans. of the ASME Journal of ICE, vol 22, 1994.
- Millo, F., Ferraro, C.V., Knock in S.I. engines: a comparison between different techniques for detection and control. SAE Paper 982477, 1998.
- Brecq, G., Belletre, J., Tazerout, M., Experimental determination of knock in gas S.I. engine. SAE Paper 2001-28-0022, 2001.
- Krieger, R.B., Borman, G.L., The computation of apparent heat release for internal combustion engines. ASME Paper 66-WA/DGP-4, 1966.
- Radu, B., Martin, G., Chiriac, R., Apostolescu, N. On the knock characteristics of LPG in a spark ignition engine. SAE Paper 2005 - 1-3773, 2005.
- Grandin, B., Denbratt, I., Brackmann, C., Bengtsson, P.E., Gogan, A., Mauss, F., Sunden B. - Heat release in the end- gas prior to knock in lean, reach and stoichiometric mixtures with and without EGR. SAE Paper 2202-01-0239, 2002.
- Glaser, I., Powell, D. - Optimal closed - loop spark control of an automotive engine. SAE Paper 810058, 1981.
- Matekunas, F. - Modes and measures of cyclic combustion variability. SAE paper 830337, 1983.
- Inoue, T., matsushita, S., Nakanishi, K., Okano, H. - Toyota lean combustion system - the third generation system. SAE Paper 930873, 1993.
- Watanabe, S. - A sophisticated engine control system using combustion pressure detection. SAE Paper 960042, 1996.
- Rohde - Branderburger, K. - Einfluss des Zündwinkels auf den Wirkungsgrad eines Mehrzylinder - Ottomotors im instationären Betrieb. VDI - fortschritt Berichte, Reihe 12, Nr. 79 (1986).
- Chiriac, R., Apostolescu, N., Niculescu, D., An experimental study of knock in a spark ignition engine fueled with LPG. SAE Paper 2004-01-0976, 2004.