This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Fuel Consumption Measurement Methods for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Japan Automobile Research Institute has devised and evaluated the various fuel consumption measurement methods for fuel cell vehicles (FCVs). The examination covers the methods based on measurement of electrical current, hydrogen pressure/temperature, weight and flow rate that are expected to be the same accuracy and convenience as conventional measurement methods such as carbon balance method or fuel flow measurement method. As a result of examining the measurement accuracy for each method with a sonic nozzle used as a standard, it is found that both the pressure method and the weight method fulfill the target accuracy of ±1% and that the flow method is able to improve the accuracy by means of calibration with hydrogen. Also, as a result of applying each method to the fuel consumption test of FCVs, the relative error between the pressure method and weight method is within ±1%. The measurements are repeatable regardless of the number of tests and test vehicles; the accuracy and practicability were verified. Those fruits are utilized for the groundwork of establishing the criteria and standards. They have been reflected even in the committee drafts of ISO/TC22/SC21 WG2.
CitationKuroda, E., Moriya, K., Yano, M., Watanabe, S. et al., "Development of Fuel Consumption Measurement Methods for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0217, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0217.
- Aoyagi S. et al. Development of Fuel Economy Measurement Method for Fuel Cell Vehicle SAE paper 2004-01-1305
- Ding Y. et al. Hydrogen Consumption Measurement for Fuel Cell Vehicles SAE paper 2004-01-1008
- Kuroda E. et al. Test Methods to Measure Fuel Economy in Direct Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles JARI Research Journal 24 10 463 2002
- Kuroda E. et al. Test Methods to Measure Fuel Economy in Direct Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles Engine Technology 20 Sankaido 2003
- Kuroda E. et al. Test Methods to Measure Fuel Economy in Direct Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles JSAE, Annual Spring Congress Proceedings 5 Yokohama Japan May 2003
- Yano M. et al. Fuel Economy Measurements for Direct Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles The 23rd HESS (The Hydrogen Energy System Society of Japan) Symposium Proceedings 105 Tokyo Japan December 2003
- Yano M. et al. Fuel Economy Measurements for Fuel Cell Vehicles (Weight Method and Pressure Method) JARI Research Journal 26 6 257 2004
- Hirata H. et al. Test Methods for Measuring Fuel Economy in Fuel Cell Vehicles (The Flow Method) JARI Research Journal 26 6 261 2004
- Hirata H. et al. Test Methods to Measure Fuel Economy in Direct Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles (Second Report - The Flow Method) JSAE, Annual Spring Congress Proceedings 13 Yokohama Japan May 2004
- Kuroda E. et al. 15th World Hydrogen Energy Conference Abstracts 287 Yokohama Japan June 2004
- Kuroda E. et al. Development of Fuel Consumption Measurement Method and Test Equipment for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles JARI Research Journal 27 7 303 2005
- Report for technology of measuring small flows National Research Laboratory of Metrology (NRLM), Japan Measuring Instruments Federation (JMIF) 2000
- Measurement of Gas Flow by means of Critical Flow Venturi Nozzles