This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of an Inexpensive Piezoelectric Pressure Sensor for Internal Combustion Engine Spark Timing Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An inexpensive piezoelectric pressure sensor capable of detecting the internal combustion peak pressure position has been developed by Oceana Sensor Technologies for mass production. This paper describes the principle, structure and the Finite Element model of the designed sensor. A state-space model of the piezoelectric input/output system is extracted based on model reduction method. The performance of this sensor is evaluated using test engine and compared with a commercially available sensor.
CitationAlberts, T., Liu, S., and Lally, R., "Investigation of an Inexpensive Piezoelectric Pressure Sensor for Internal Combustion Engine Spark Timing Control," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0183, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0183.
- Hubbard, M. Dobson, P.D. Powell, J. D. “Closed loop Control of Spark Advance Using a Cylinder Pressure Sensor” Transactions of the ASME 1976
- Chen, S. K. et al. “On-line PC Based Engine Analyzer and Simulator,” SAE paper 881256 1988
- He Gang et al. “Low-Cost Spark Plug-Integrated Fiber Optic Sensor for Combustion Pressure Monitoring,” SAE paper 930853 1993
- Powell, J. David “Engine Control Using Cylinder Pressure: Past, Present, and Future” Journal of Dynamic System, Measurement, and Control 115 343 350 June 1993
- Anastasia, C. M. Pestana, G. W. “A cylinder pressure sensor for closed loop engine control,” SAE paper No. 870288 1987
- Mirza M. K. et al. “Analysis and design of piezoresistive pressure sensor using the finite-element method,” Trans. Inst. Meas. Control 13 1991 36 40
- ANSYS, Inc. 2004 ANSYS Theoretical Manual Canonsburg, PA.
- Allik, H. Hughes, T. J. R. “Finite element method for piezoelectric vibration,” Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng. 2 151 157 1970
- Nijhuis M. H. H. Oude de Boer A. “Finite element models applied in active structural acoustic control,” proceedings of SPIE's 9 th annual international symposium on Smart Structures and Materials San Diego, USA 2002