This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Motor Mounted Load Limiting Mechanism
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A variety of load limiting devices have been devised for windshield wiping systems. Comparisons of these devices are available in the literature. It should be noted than no single scheme devised to date serves as a panacea. Rather each device has limitations as to applicability, functionality, packaging, or cost. A motor mounted load limiting concept described in the literature possesses tremendous application flexibility and functionality, but is noted to be potentially difficult to package. This paper describes the design of this mechanism and outlines a parametric study that can be used to minimize the package size of the mechanism for a given application.
CitationPenrod, J., "Design of a Motor Mounted Load Limiting Mechanism," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0178, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0178.
- Penrod, J. P. Dong, Y. An Application Flexible Method to Limit the Loads in Windshield Wiping Systems Society of Automotive Engineers 2005
- Mott R. L. Machine Elements in Mechanical Design 4th ed. Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 2004
- Langhaar H. L. Energy Methods in Applied Mechanics John Wiley and Sons New York 1962
- Penrod, J. P. Dong, Y. Buchanan, H. C. A Novel Use of a Composite Material to Limit the Loads in Windshield Wiper Systems Automotive Plastics: Processes, Components, and Technology, Society of Automotive Engineers 2001
- Levens A. S. Chalk W. Graphics in Engineering Design 3rd ed. John Wiley and Sons New York 1980