This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Strategies for Intercalation and Exfoliation of PP/Clay Nanocomposites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research investigated the intercalation and exfoliation behaviors of polypropylene (PP)/clay nanocomposites. Different samples were prepared by melt blending with various combinations of PP, maleic anhydride grafted PP (PP-g-MAn), and nano-clay. The effects of key processing variables such as the mixing time, mixing temperature and screw rpm were investigated from the thermodynamic and kinetic point of view. The morphology was determined by using X-ray diffraction (XRD) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Effective strategies for controlling intercalation and exfoliation of PP/clay nanocomposites are proposed and evaluated.
CitationLee, Y., Park, C., and Sain, M., "Strategies for Intercalation and Exfoliation of PP/Clay Nanocomposites," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0132, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0132.
- Giannelis, E.P. Adv. Mater., 8 29 1996
- Krishnamoorti, E. Vaia, R.A. Giannelis, E.P. Chem. Mater., 8 1718 1996
- Kojima, Y. Usuki A. Kawasumi M. Okada A. Fukushima Y. Kurauchi T. Kamigaito O. J. Mater. Res. 8 1185 1993
- Wang K.H. Chung I.J. Jang M.C. Keum J.K. Song H.H. Macromolecules 35 5529 2002
- Wang K.H. Xu M. Choi Y.S. Chung I.J. Polymer 2001
- Gopakumar, T.G. Lee J.A. Kontopoulou, M. Parent, J.S. Polymer 43 5483 2002
- Lee, Y.H. Zheng, W.G. Park, C.B. Kontopoulou, M. SPE, ANTEC, Technical Papers, Paper #102105, Boston, MA May 1–4 2005
- Vaia, R.A Giannelis, E.P. Macromolecules 30 7990 1997
- Vaia, R.A Giannelis, E.P. Macromolecules 30 8000 1997
- Usuki A. Kato M Okada A. Kurauchi T. Appl. Polym. Sci. 63 137 1997
- Kawasumi M. Hasegawa M. Kato M. Usuki A. Okada A. Macromolecules 30 6333 1997
- Fornes, T.D. Yoon, P.J. Keskkula, H. Paul, D.R. Polymer 42 9929 2001