Strategies for Intercalation and Exfoliation of PP/Clay Nanocomposites
Published April 3, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
This research investigated the intercalation and exfoliation behaviors of polypropylene (PP)/clay nanocomposites. Different samples were prepared by melt blending with various combinations of PP, maleic anhydride grafted PP (PP-g-MAn), and nano-clay. The effects of key processing variables such as the mixing time, mixing temperature and screw rpm were investigated from the thermodynamic and kinetic point of view. The morphology was determined by using X-ray diffraction (XRD) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Effective strategies for controlling intercalation and exfoliation of PP/clay nanocomposites are proposed and evaluated.
CitationLee, Y., Park, C., and Sain, M., "Strategies for Intercalation and Exfoliation of PP/Clay Nanocomposites," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0132, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0132.
- Giannelis, E.P., Adv. Mater., 8, 29, 1996.
- Krishnamoorti, E., Vaia, R.A., and Giannelis, E.P., Chem. Mater., 8, 1718, 1996.
- Kojima, Y., Usuki A., Kawasumi M., Okada A., Fukushima Y., Kurauchi T., and Kamigaito O., J. Mater. Res., 8, 1185, 1993.
- Wang K.H., Chung I.J., Jang M.C., Keum J.K., and Song H.H., Macromolecules, 35, 5529, 2002.
- Wang K.H., Xu M., Choi Y.S., and Chung I.J., Polymer Bulletin, 46,>499, 2001.
- Gopakumar, T.G., Lee J.A., Kontopoulou, M., and Parent, J.S., Polymer, 43, 5483, 2002.
- Lee, Y.H., Zheng, W.G., Park, C.B., Kontopoulou, M., SPE, ANTEC, Technical Papers, Paper #102105, Boston, MA, May 1–4, 2005.
- Vaia, R.A, Giannelis, E.P., Macromolecules, 30, 7990, 1997
- Vaia, R.A, Giannelis, E.P., Macromolecules, 30, 8000, 1997
- Usuki A., Kato M, Okada A., and Kurauchi T., Appl. Polym. Sci., 63, 137, 1997
- Kawasumi M., Hasegawa M., Kato M., Usuki A., and Okada A., Macromolecules, 30, 6333, 1997
- Fornes, T.D., Yoon, P.J., Keskkula, H., Paul, D.R., Polymer, 42, 9929, 2001