This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wood Microfibres - Effective Reinforcing Agents for Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work is based on a process to develop novel cellulose microfibre reinforced composite materials, and to understand fundamental mechanical properties of these composites. Cellulose microfibres having diameters <1 μm were generated from bleached kraft pulp by a combination of high shear refining and subsequent cryocrushing under liquid nitrogen, followed by filtration through a 60 mesh screen. Through film casting in polyvinyl alcohol, theoretical stiffness of the microfibres was calculated as 69 GPa. Subsequently, these microfibres were successfully dispersed in the bioplastics thermoplastic starch and polylactic acid (PLA), using conventional processing equipments. The high aspect ratio of these microfibres coupled with their high tensile properties imparted superior mechanical strength and stiffness to the composites. These indicated that by suitably choosing the polymer, excellent reinforcement can be achieved for high end applications like automotive parts.
CitationChakraborty, A., Sain, M., and Kortschot, M., "Wood Microfibres - Effective Reinforcing Agents for Composites," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0106, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0106.
- Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics Annual Book of ASTM Standards Volume 08.01 ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA, USA 2004 47 61
- Chakraborty, A. Sain M. Kortschot M. Holzforschung 59 1 102 2005
- Chakraborty, A. Sain M. Kortschot M. Holzforschung 60 1 2006
- Cox, H.L. Br. J. Appl. Phys. 3 72 1952
- Dinand, E Chanzy H. Vignon M.R. Food Hydrocolloid 13 275 1999
- Dufresne, A. Cavaille J.-Y. Vignon, M.R. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 64 6 1185 1997
- Dufresne, A. Dupeyre, D. Vignon, M.R. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 76 2080 2000
- Favier, V. Chanzy, H. Cavaille, J.Y. Macromolecules 28 18 6365 1995
- Grunert, M. Winter, W.T. J. Polym. Environ. 10 1/2 27 2002
- Herrick, F.W. Casebier, R.L. Hamilton, J.K. Sandberg, K.R. J. Appl. Polym. Sc.: Applied Polymer Symposium 37 797 1983
- Hodge, A.J. Wardrop, A.B. Nature 165 2725 1950
- Morin, A. Dufresne, A. Macromolecules 35 6 2190 2002
- Nakagaito A.N. Yano, H. Appl. Phys. A 78 547 2004
- Nakagaito A.N. Yano, H. Appl. Phys. A 80 155 2005
- Oksman, K. Skrifvars, M. Selin, J.-F. Composites Science and Technology 63 9 1317 2003
- Taniguchi, T. J. Soc. Mat. Sci. Japan 45 4 472 1996
- Turbak, A.F. Snyder, F.W. Sandberg, K.R. J. Appl. Polym. Sc.: Applied Polymer Symposium 37 815 1983