This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electromagnetic Fully Flexible Valve Actuator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An electromagnetic fully flexible valve actuator (FFVA) for internal combustion engines is described which offers the potential for significant improvements in fuel economy, emissions, and performance, especially at low end torque, in internal combustion engines. The FFVA offers variable lift and timing combined with controllable seating velocity. It operates on a design principle distinct from existing actuators: the electromagnetic actuator exerts appreciable bidirectional force throughout the device stroke mitigating the need for mechanical spring-derived resonance. The FFVA is a direct drive device with a unique magnetic structure that combines high bandwidth and strong forces to meet the engine performance requirements.
This paper presents the innovative electromagnetic design, simulation, and bench testing of the actuator on a single cylinder engine.
|Technical Paper||Nonlinear Modeling of an Electromagnetic Valve Actuator|
|Technical Paper||Dedicated Intake Actuator for Electromagnetic Valve Trains|
|Technical Paper||The Electro-Hydraulic Valvetrain System EHVS - System and Potential|
CitationCope, D. and Wright, A., "Electromagnetic Fully Flexible Valve Actuator," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0044, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0044.
- Stone, R. Kwan, E. “Variable Valve Actuation Mechanisms and the Potential for their Application,” SAE Paper 890673 1989
- Klein, F. et al “The Influence of the Valve Stroke Design in Variable Valve Timing Systems on Load Cycle, Mixture Formation and the Combustion Process in Conjunction with Throttle-free Load Governing,” SAE Paper 981030 1998
- Sellnau, M. Rask, E. “Two-Step Variable Valve Actuation for Fuel Economy, Emissions, and Performance SAE Paper 2003-01-0029 2003
- Ahmad, T. Theobald, M. “A Survey of Variable-Valve-Actuation Technology,” SAE Paper 891674 1989
- Dresner, T. Barken, P. “A Review and Classification of Variable Valve Timing Mechanisms,” SAE Paper 890674 1989
- Schechter, M. Levin, M. “Camless Engine,” SAE Paper 960581 1996
- Pierik, R. Burkhard, J. “Design and Development of a Mechanical Variable Valve Actuation System,” SAE Paper 2000-01-3307 2000
- Kreuter, P. et al “The Meta VVH System - A Continuously Variable Valve Timing System,” SAE Paper 980765 1998
- Rivas, J. Perreault, D. Keim T. “Performance Improvement of Alternators With Switched-Mode Rectifiers,” IEEE Trans. Energy Conv. 19 3 Sept. 2004 561
- Tang, S.C. Keim, T. Perreault, D.J. “Thermal Modeling of Lundell Alternators,” IEEE Trans. Energy Conv. 20 1 March 2005 25
- Liang, F. Miller, J. M. Xu, X. “A Vehicle Electric Power Generation System with Improved Output Power and Efficiency,” IEEE Trans Ind. Appl. 35 6 Nov. Dec. 1999 1341
- Carney, D. “Internal Combustion Engineering,” Automotive Engineering International May 2004 42
- “European Centers of Power,” Automotive Engineering International June 2004 67
- Pischinger F. Kreuter, P. “Arrangement for Electromagnetically Operated Actuators” May 7 1985 www.uspto.gov
- Wang, Y. Peterson, K. et al “Modeling and Control of Electromechanical Valve Actuator,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1106 2002
- Ansoft Corp. Pittsburgh, PA www.ansoft.com
- Ashhab, M. Stefanopoulou, A. “Camless Engine Control for a Robust Unthrottled Operation,” SAE Paper 981031 1998
- Ashhab, M-S Stefanopoulou, A. “Control-Oriented Model for Camless Intake Process - Part I,” Transactions of the ASME 122 March 2000
- Ashhab, M-S Stefanopoulou, A. “Control of a Camless Intake Process - Part II,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control March 2000
- Wright, A. Cope, D. “High Intensity Radial Field Magnetic Array and Actuator,” April 5 2005 www.uspto.gov
- Wright, A. Cope, D. “High Intensity Radial Field Magnetic Array and Actuator December 7 2004 www.uspto.gov
- Honda Engines Owner's Manual GC135/GC160 Honda Motor Co., Ltd 2001