Effect of Fungal Modification on Fiber-Matrix Adhesion in Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites
- Technical Paper
- ISSN 0148-7191
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0006
Natural fiber reinforced polymer composites are beginning to find their way into the commercial automotive market. But, inadequate adhesion between hydrophilic natural fibers and hydrophobic matrix materials affects the performance of the resulting composites. In this study the effect of an environmental friendly fungal treatment on the adhesion characteristics of natural fibers is investigated. Firstly, changes in acid-base characteristics of the modified hemp fibers were studied using Inverse Gas Chromatography (IGC). Afterwards, composites were prepared using Resin Transfer Molding (RTM) process and the effect of modification on performance and durability of the composites was investigated.
CitationGulati, D. and Sain, M., "Effect of Fungal Modification on Fiber-Matrix Adhesion in Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0006, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0006.
Number: V115-5; Published: 2007-03-30
- Rong M.Z., Zhang M.Q., Liu Y., Yang G.C. and Zeng H.M., Composite Science and Technology, 61, 1437 (2001).
- Singh B., Gupta M. and Verma A., Polymer Composites, 17(6), 910 (1996).
- Zafeiropoulos N.E., Williams D.R., Baillie C.A. and Matthews F.L., Composites: Part A, 33, 1083 (2002).
- Coughlan M.P. and Callaco M.T. Amaral, Advances in Biological Treatment of Lignocellulsoic Materials, Elsevier Applied Science.
- Buschle-Diller G., Fanter C. and Loth F., Textile Research Journal, 69(4), 244 -251 (1999).
- Zisman W.A., Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 55 (10), 18 (1963).
- Fowkes F.M and Mostafa M.A., Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Product Research and Division, 17(1), 3 (1978).
- Mittal K.L., Acid-base interactions: Relevance to Adhesion Science and Technology Volume 2, VSP.
- PanzerU. and Schreiber H.P., On the evaluation of surface interactions by inverse gas chromatography, Macromolecules, 25, 3633 (1992)
- Shultz J., Laville L., and Martin C., Journal of Adhesion, 23, 45 -60 (1987).
- ASTM D 1795-96, “Standard Test Method for Intrinsic Viscosity of Cellulose”, ASTM International
- ASTM D 638-03, “Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics”, ASTM International.
- ASTM D 256-05, “Standard Test Method for Determining the Izod Pendulum Impact Resistance of Plastics”, ASTM International.
- ASTM D 570-98,“standard Test Method for Water Absorption of Plastics”, ASTM International.