Study of CNG Fueled Two-Wheeled Vehicle with Electronically Controlled Gas Injection System
Published October 12, 2005 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation of this paper is available
Owing to its combustion characteristics and chemical composition, natural gas features cleaner emissions and lower CO2 compared to gasoline under equal thermal efficiency. Natural gas can be a promising alternative energy source to respond to crude oil exhaustion and global warming issues. Focusing on the utility of natural gas, a feasibility study on CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) -fueled two-wheeled vehicles has been conducted. A proto-type two-wheeled vehicle was made based on a 125 cm3 class gasoline-fueled scooter. To adapt the engine to the use of CNG fuel, an electronically controlled gas injection system was applied to the fuel supply system. To provide abrasion resistance of engine valves and valve seats, the specific matter of gas-fuel was improved. Furthermore, a lubricant circulation passage was added to maintain the temperature of the pressure reducing valve. Environmental performance, which decreases CO by 90% and HC by 64% without after-treatment of exhaust gas, and decreases CO2 by 33% in CO conversion equal to CNG with after-treatment of exhaust gas, was proved through this study. Considering the use of a BI-FUEL system, anti-abrasion measures for carburetor float valve and the selection of ignition plug become very important.
CitationTSUTSUMIZAKI, T. and KUROKI, M., "Study of CNG Fueled Two-Wheeled Vehicle with Electronically Controlled Gas Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2005-32-0034, 2005.
- Fukagawa Masami, Ide Yutaka, Arai Sakuji: “Development of a Subcompact Natural Gas Vehicle”, Journal of Society of Automotive Engineer of Japan, Vol.52, No.7, p. (1998).
- Mizuho Information & Research Institute, WTT-GHG Study Team,: “Well-to-Wheel Evaluation on Fuel for Transportation, Report on Global Warming Gas Emission focusing on Producing Fuel for Transportation (Well-to-Tank ) in Japan”, Download at: http://www.mizuho-ir.co.jp/research/wtwghg041130.html
- Tamura Tetsuomi, Kato Kichiro: “CNG Vehicle”, TOYOTA Technical Review Vol.50 No.1 Jun.2000
- Maeda Tadamasa, Matsuda Hiroyuki, Takahashi Daisaku: “Development of CNG Wagon”, Suzuki Technical Review, Vol.26 (2000)
- Sato Katsuaki, Midorikawa Teruaki, Yamasaki Yasuhiro, Takahashi Teruo: “Development of Valve Seat Material for Gas Fueled Engine”, HONDA R&D Technical Review, Vol.11, No.1, 1998.
- Tuchiya Masayuki,: “Thermodymnamic Behavior of Supply Gas and Influence on Vehicle fuel Fill Line During CNG Fast Fill”, SAE Paper 961173,International Spring Fuels and Lubricates Meeting.
- Suematsu Toshio: “TOYOTA 5S-FNE-Type CNG Engine”, Engine Technology, Jun 2000