This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of the Compression Ratio, Equivalence Ratio, and Intake Air Temperature on Ignition Timing in an HCCI Engine Using DME Fuel
Published October 12, 2005 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Attention has recently been focused on homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion (HCCI) as an effective combustion process for resolving the essential nature of combustion. Meanwhile, dimethylether (DME) has attracted interest as a potential alternative fuel for compression ignition engines. Authors measured the combustion process of DME HCCI by using a spectroscopic method. A diesel engine was used as the test engine. The results of these analyses showed that changes in the compression ratio, intake air temperature and equivalence ratio influenced the ignition timing in the HCCI combustion process. This paper discusses these effects in reference to the experimental and calculated results.
CitationHAMADA, K., NIIJIMA, S., YOSHIDA, K., YOSHIDA, K. et al., "The Effects of the Compression Ratio, Equivalence Ratio, and Intake Air Temperature on Ignition Timing in an HCCI Engine Using DME Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2005-32-0002, 2005.
- Konno M. Kajitani S. “Combustion Characteristics of a Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether” Transaction of JSME (in Japanese) 67 662B 223 229 2001
- Ohta. Y. Furutani. M. Komatu. K. “Onset Behavior of Low-Temperature Autoignition Caused by Piston Compression” Proceedings of the 10th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (in Japanese) 265 270 1992
- Furutani. M. Ohta. Y. “A Novel Method of Eliminating Piston-Compression Ignition” Transaction of JSME (in Japanese) 60 571B 1074 1079 1994
- Konno. M Kumagai S. Inuma K. “Thermodynamic and Experimental Determination of Knocking Intensity by Using a Spark Ignited Rapid Compression Machine” Combustion and Flame 54 33 47 1983
- Green, R.M. Cernansky, N.P. Pitz, W.J. Westbook, C.K. “The Role of Low Temperature Chemistry in Autoignition of N-Butane” SAE Paper 872108 1987
- Gaydon, A. G. “The Spectroscopy of Flames” Chapman and Hall Ltd. London 1957
- Ohara, H. Ogawa, J. Yoshida, K. Shoji, H. Saima, A. “An Analysis of Light Emission Intensity Behavior Corresponding to Intermediate Products in Different Places of the Combustion Chamber”
- Koseki T. Tamura S. Kashiwagi H. Yoshida K. Shoji H. “Measurement of Radical Behavior in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Using Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper 2003-32-006
- Tosaka, Y. Shoji, H. Saima, A. “A study of the influence of intermediate combustion products on knocking” JSAE Review 9533460 19 3 1995
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistry of Isobutane: A motored Engine Study” SAE Paper 881601 1988
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistries of Primary Reference Fuels, Other Mixture and Blending Octane Numbers” SAE Paper 922325 1992
- Iida N. Igarashi T. “Study of Auto Ignition and Combustion in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” Proceeding of the 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium (in Japanese) 277 282 1997
- Curran, H. J. Westbook, C.K. Dagaut, P. Boettner, J-C. Cathonnet, M. “A Wide Range Modeling Study of Dimethyl Ether Oxidation” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 30 3 229 241 1998
- Oguma M. Goto S. “A Measurement of Combustion Radicals Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (DME)” Transactions of JSME (in Japanese) IV 02-1 61 62 2002
- Yoshida K. Koseki T. Tamura S. Yoshida K. Shoji H. “Combustion Analysis of the Effect of Compression Ratio on HCCI using Dimethyl Ether” Proceedings of the Forty-Second Symposium on Combustion (in Japanese) 495 496 2004
- Tomita E. et al. The 6 th AJTEC 2003