This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Compact Twin Circuit Heat Exchanger in the Cooling System of a Combat Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2005 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: International Mobility Engineering Congress & Exposition 2005 - SAE India Technology for Emerging Markets
This paper deals with the configuration, design, optimization and development of twin circuit coolant heat exchanger for cooling a combat vehicle engine and transmission. Arriving at the configuration of coolant heat exchanger is very critical for the engine in a combat vehicle which has to perform at high ambient temperature. The coolant heat exchanger has been configured with two independent circuits. Performance of heat exchanger with compact aluminium plate & fin core matrix was predicted and a suitable matrix was selected. A scaled model was developed and tested in the test rig for heat transfer & pressure drop characteristics. The fin combination was finalized based on the evaluation in the test rig. The geometry of headers was arrived based on CFD analysis to offer improved flow distribution and lesser pressure drop. The prototype coolant heat exchangers were developed with finalized fin configuration and headers as per CFD analysis.
|Technical Paper||Vacuum Brazing of Aluminum|
|Technical Paper||A High Flux Heat Exchanger for Military Avionics Part I: Design and Fabrication|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Oil Cooler Application Testing and Nomenclature|
CitationKumarasamy, A. and Sathyanarayanan, P., "Development of Compact Twin Circuit Heat Exchanger in the Cooling System of a Combat Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-341, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-341.
- Kays M.W. and London L.A., Compact Heat Exchanger, 3rd Ed, McGraw-Hill Book Co, New York.
- Prabhakara Rao B, Krishna Kumar P and Das Sarit K, (2002). Effect of Flow Distribution to the Channels on the Thermal Performance of a Plate Heat Exchanger, Chemical Engg. and Processing, 41, 49-58.
- Prabhakara Rao B and Das Sarit K., Effect of Flow Distribution to the Channels on the Thermal Performance of a Multi-pass Plate Heat Exchanger Heat Transfer Engineering, 25(6), August 2004.
- Bassiouny, M. K. and Martin H (1984a) Flow distribution and pressure drop in plate heat exchangers-I, U-type arrangement, Chemical Engg. Science, 39, 693-700.
- Bassiouny, M.K. and Martin H (1984b) Flow Distribution and pressure drop in plate heat exchangers-ll, Z-type arrangement, Chemical Engg Science, 39, 4, 701-704.
- Patankar S.V. (1980) Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow. Hemisphere, Washington, D.C.
- Indian Standard no: 13687: 1993 for heat Dissipation performance of IC engine radiators