This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Report on Improving the Ride and Handling Performance in the Roll and Pitch Modes of an Utility Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2005 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: International Mobility Engineering Congress & Exposition 2005 - SAE India Technology for Emerging Markets
The paper presents the methodology along with the modeling and simulations done to improve the ride and handling performance in the roll and pitch modes of a Utility Vehicle using computer simulations. The objectives of this project is to redesign the suspension system that provides for improvement in the ride and handling performance without compromising on any other vehicle performance.
The study chose certain vehicle parameters as design variables. Subsequently the model is first tested for Kinematics/Compliance and later subjected to full vehicle dynamic analysis in different maneuvers to evaluate its handling, cornering, rollover and steering performance thereby assessing the kinematic aspects of the suspension along with its dynamic characteristic. Finally through a series of computer experiments, certain vehicle parameters along with their magnitudes are determined which ensure improvement in the ride and handling performance. As an add-on, the study also succeeded in increasing the Static Stability Factor for the same vehicle.
CitationDas, S., Ramamurthy, P., and Balasubramanyan, K., "A Report on Improving the Ride and Handling Performance in the Roll and Pitch Modes of an Utility Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-329, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-329.
- Gillespie, T.D. 1992 Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- NHTSA Phase IV Rollover Testing 2002 George Washington Transportation Research Institute Whitehead, R
- A Study of the Effect of Various Vehicle Properties on Rollover Propensity SAE-2004 Ungoren Ali.Y. Peng Huei Evaluation Of Vehicle Dynamic Control For Rollover Prevention SAE- 2003
- ADAMS Car User manual 2005
- University of Michigan Transportation Research web page www.umtri.um.edu
- Automotive Handbook BOSCH 5th SAE