This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite-Element Analysis of Al-SiCp Composite Poppet Valve Guides
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2005 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: International Mobility Engineering Congress & Exposition 2005 - SAE India Technology for Emerging Markets
Aluminum matrix composites are finding increased application in automotive, aircraft and aerospace industries and hold the greatest promise for the future growth. In the present work an attempt has been made to access the opportunity for Al-SiCp composites as an alternative material for the poppet valve guides. The finite element analysis of the Al-SiCp composite poppet valve guide was done using Ansys software. The temperature, principal stress and principal strain distribution over the entire surface of the poppet valve guide were obtained. The stresses were found to be well below the allowable stress for the Al-SiCp composites.
CitationPurohit, R. and Sagar, R., "Finite-Element Analysis of Al-SiCp Composite Poppet Valve Guides," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-310, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-310.
- Purohit, R. Sagar, R. “Fabrication of a cam using metal matrix composites” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 17 2001 644 648
- Ramesh, K. C. Sagar, R. “Fabrication of metal matrix composite automotive parts” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology” 15 1999 114 118
- Sagar, R. Purohit, R. Kumar, R. Meena, C. R. Shukla, A. K. “Agile Manufacturing Analysis and Design of Guides for Poppet Valves” Proceedings of the 8 th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications Anaheim, California 28 July 1 August 2001 760 769
- Purohit, R. “Studies and Development of Al-SiC particulate composites for Automotive applications” Mechanical Engineering Department IIT Delhi 2004
- Meyer, Terrence R. White, Robert A. “The effects of cylinder head deformation and asymmetry on exhaust valve thermo-mechanical stresses” SAE Paper 981034 1998 1515 1523
- Kabat, D. M. Garwin, I. J. Hartsock, D. L. “Ceramic valve analysis, Reliability and test results” SAE Paper 880670 1988 2.433 2.446