This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Evaluation of a Hydrogen Added Natural Gas (HANG) Operated SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 19, 2005 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2005
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) has already been adopted as a regular transportation fuel in many countries including parts of India. On the other hand hydrogen, despite its proven “clean-burning” characteristics is not being widely used as an alternative fuel. This paper explains how addition of hydrogen to existing CNG-fuelled engine can ensure an early entry of hydrogen into our energy infrastructure. In the context of the present discussion such a system is being referred to as Hydrogen Added Natural Gas (HANG) fuelled engine.
Tests in IIT Delhi have shown an improvement in the performance characteristics of HANG operation of an engine over neat CNG operation. Reduction in the level of emission was also observed with HANG engine.
CitationDas, L. and Polly, M., "Experimental Evaluation of a Hydrogen Added Natural Gas (HANG) Operated SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-029, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-029.
- Das, L. M. “Hydrogen Engines: Research and Development Programmes in Indian Institute of Technology” Delhi International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 27 9 953 965 2002
- Das, L. M. Gulati Rohit Gupta Pankaj Kumar “A Comparative Evaluation of the Performance Characteristics of Spark Ignition Engine using Hydrogen and Compressed Natural Gas as Alternative Fuels” Intrnl. J. Hydrogen Energy 25 8 2000
- Karim, G. A. “Hydrogen as a Spark Ignition Engine Fuel” Intrnl. J. Hydrogen Energy 28 569 77 2003
- Das, L. M. “Hydrogen Engines: A View of the Past and a Look into the Future” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 15 6 1990
- Das, L. M. “Exhaust Emission Characterisation of Hydrogen-Operated Engine System: Nature of Pollutants and their Control Techniques” Intrnl. J. Hydrogen Energy 16 11 1991
- Raman V. J. et al. “Hythane - an Ultraclean Transportation Fuel” Hydrogen Fuel For Surface Transportation SAE Publication 47 56 1996
- Das, L. M. Swain, R. K. Polly Milton “Performance Improvement of a CNG Fuelled SI Engine by Hydrogen” Third International Conference on Synergy of Fuel and Automotive Technology For A Cleaner Environment 2004
- Das, L. M. “Utilisation of Hydrogen-CNG Blend in an Internal Combustion Engine” Eleventh World Hydrogen Energy Conference Stuttgart, Germany 1996
- Larsen John, F., Wallace, J. S. “Emissions Benefits of Hythane Fueling in a Lean-Burn Turbocharged Engine” 7 th Canadian Hydrogen Workshop 1995