This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Ambient Temperature and Pressure on Direct Injection Fuel Spray for S.I. Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
High-pressure fuel spray proposed for direct injection gasoline engine was evaluated by means of a phase Doppler anemometer (PDA) and flow visualization. The intermittent fuel spray from a swirl type injector was injected in a constant volume chamber under various conditions of backpressure and ambient temperature. The backpressures were set to 0, 0.5 and 1 MPa in gauge pressure. The ambient temperatures were set to 293, 373, 423 and 473K. Normal-heptane was used as a fuel with injection pressure of 10MPa and injection frequency of 10Hz. Spray characteristics of the temporal and spatial distributions of the mean velocity and the mean diameter were measured by the PDA. Visualizations of spray were also made by a particle image velocimetry (PIV). The experimental results show the effects of backpressure and ambient temperature on the spray shape and characteristics of droplet size and velocity distributions. It is also confirmed that the time-dividing method proposed by the authors was useful for analyzing the intermittent spray.
CitationOBOKATA, T., ISHIMA, T., and KIMURA, N., "Effects of Ambient Temperature and Pressure on Direct Injection Fuel Spray for S.I. Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-091, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-091.
- Iwamoto, Y. et al. Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE paper No. 970541
- Miyajima A. et al. A Study on Fuel Spray Pattern Control of Fuel Injector of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE paper No. 2000-01-1045 2000
- Coghe, A. Cossali, G. E. Phase Doppler Characterization of a Diesel Spray Injected into a High Density Gas under Vaporization Regimes Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Applications of Laser techniques to Fluid Mechanics 1994
- Vannobel, F. et al. Phase Doppler Anemometry Measurements on a Gasline Spray Inside the Inlet Port and Downstream of the Induction Valve: Steady and Unsteady Flow Conditions Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Applications of Laser techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon 1992
- Ikeda, Y. Nakajima, T. Kurihara, N. Spray Formation and Dispersion of Size-Classified Fuel Droplet of Air-Assist Injector Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Applications of Laser techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon 1996
- Obokata, T. Long, W.-Q Ishima, T. PDA and LDA Measurements of Large Angle Hollow Cone Spray Proposed for Hot-Premixed Combustion Type Diesel Engine, SAE Transactions Journal of Engines 105 3 1996 1071 1084
- Obokata, T. Ishima, T. Uehara, K. Koyama, K. Kobayashi, K. Tsukagoshi, M. Characterization of Spray Flows under High Fuel Temperature Using Phase Doppler Anemometer Selected Paper of Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Applications of Laser techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Developments in Laser Techniques and Fluid Mechanics Springer 1997 495 508
- Ishima, T. Sukena, R. Liu, C. Obokata, T. Relationship between Fuel Injection Rate and Spray Characteristics of the Swirl Nozzle for Gasoline Engine The Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engine July 2001 Nagoya 493 498
- Ismailov, M. Ishima T. Obokata T, Tsukagoshi M. Kobayashi K. Visualization and Measurements of Sub-Millisecond Transient Spray Dynamics Applicable to Direct Injection Gasoline Engine, Part 2: PDA Measurements and Analysis of Instantaneous Spray Flow Patterns JSME International Journal 42-1 1999 30 38