This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhanced Power Unit NVH Simulation with MBD Solver AVL EXCITE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Several models have been developed for specific applications to accurately represent the dynamics of IC engines with particular focus on NVH behavior. These models aim to investigate the speed irregularity of crankshaft, the vibration level of the engine block and the engine mount vibrations. The speed fluctuations of the crankshaft causes timing drive excitations and the well known gear rattle phenomena. Engine block vibrations can be used as a reference for the radiated noise. Lastly, engine mount vibrations directly contribute to the cabin noise.
With the reduction of engine noise, the gearbox noise becomes more audible. Therefore, it is necessary to extend the MBD (Multi Body Dynamic) model, used for vibration and acoustic analysis of the power unit, in the gearbox direction. In this paper a model is presented, which was developed in joint collaboration between Elasis S.C.p.A. and AVL List GmbH. This model can represent the dynamics of the whole engine including: crankshaft system, timing drive and gearbox.
The gear noise simulation model is included in the conventional MBD model to predict the main gear noise phenomena. This is done by considering variable mesh tooth stiffness and nonlinear damping in the backlash region for all gear pairs, including the final gear pair and differential.
- Carmine Nolfe - ELASIS S.C.p.A, Naples, Italy
- Davide De Stefanis - ELASIS S.C.p.A, Naples, Italy
- Ciro Cardone - ELASIS S.C.p.A, Naples, Italy
- Teresa Pappalardo - ELASIS S.C.p.A, Naples, Italy
- Corrado Grasso - ELASIS S.C.p.A, Naples, Italy
- Borislav Klarin - AVL List GmbH, Graz, Austria
- Christian Vock - AVL List GmbH, Graz, Austria
CitationKlarin, B., Vock, C., Nolfe, C., De Stefanis, D. et al., "Enhanced Power Unit NVH Simulation with MBD Solver AVL EXCITE," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-016, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-016.
- Priebsch, H. H. Krasser: J. “Simulation of Vibration and Structure Borne Noise of Engines – A Combined Technique of FEM and Multi Body Dynamics” CAD-FEM Users′ Meeting, Bad Neuenahr–Ahrweiler 1998
- Parikyan, T. Resch, T. Priebsch, H. H. “Structured Model of Crankshaft in the Simulation of Engine Dynamics with AVL EXCITE” ASME Fall Technical Conference 37-3 Argonne 2001
- Ma, M-T., et al “A Fast Approach to Model Hydrodynamic Behaviour of Journal Bearings for Analysis of Crankshaft and Engine Dynamics” Proc. of the 30th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology –Transient Process in Tribology 313 327 2003
- Offner, G. et al “Quality and Validation of Cranktrain Vibration Prediction – Effect of Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing Models” Proc. of Multi-body Dynamics –Monitoring and Simulation Techniques III 255 271 2004
- Resch, T. Klarin, B “Analysis of Engine Dynamics under Transient Run-up Conditions” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1454 , SAE World Congress 2004, Cobo Center, Detroit, USA
- Loibnegger, B. Mikosch, T. Simulation and Correlation of Engine Mount Vibrations up to 1 kHz JSAE 2001
- Grasso, C. Martorelli, M. Petrella, L. Sbarbati, F. “Powertrain NVH Refinement” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0400 , SAE World Congress 2004, Detroit, USA
- Schaffner, T. et al “Simulation of Timing Drive Dynamics by Combined Mechanic and Hydraulic MBD Modeling” Compiuter Simulation in Automotive Engineering 21.05.2003 Graz, Austria
- Hellinger, W Raffel, H. Ch. Rainer, G. Ph. “Numerical Methods to Calculate Gearbox Noise” SAE Paper 97NV205, 20.-22.5.1997, Traverse City, USA
- Forcelli, A. Grasso, C. Pappalardo, T. “The Transmission Gear Rattle Noise: Parametric Sensitivity Study” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1225 , SAE World Congress 2004, Cobo Center, Detroit, USA
- Niemann, G. Winter, H. Maschinenelemente, Band II Springer Verlag Berlin 1983
- AVL EXCITE v.6.1 Reference Manual Austria 2004
- Pappalardo, T. Grasso, C. Forcelli, A. “A New Approach for Objective Measurements of Transmission Gear Rattle Noise” JSAE Technical Paper No. 20045420; 0919-1364, JSAE 2004
- Sbarbati, F. Grasso, C. Liccardo, P. Martorelli, M. Malusardi, M. Tosato, L. Uberti, M. “Gear rattle Optimisation” FISITA 2004 World Automotive Congress Barcelona, Spain May 2004
- KISSsoft Manual KISSsoft AG Switzerland 2004