This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurements of Ultrafine Particle Number Emissions from a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Using SMPS, DMS, ELPI and EEPS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Tightening of automotive particulate matter (PM) emission regulations, driven by health concerns over ultrafine (< 100 nm) and nano-sized (< 50 nm) particles, has focused attention on measurement of particle size and number at the tailpipes of diesel engines. This study presents an investigation of PM emissions by number from a Light-Duty Diesel Engine running on low sulphur fuel using different after-treatment systems. PM measurements by number and size were conducted over both transient and steady-state engine conditions using a standard CVS dilution tunnel.
A Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer (SMPS), Electrical Low Pressure Impactor (ELPI), Differential Mobility Spectrometer (DMS) and an Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer (EEPS) were used for PM measurements. The performance of each particle size measurement instrument was assessed, and a comparison provided at similar experimental conditions.
A standard diesel oxidation catalyst and particulate filters were used as after-treatment systems. Particle number emissions for each are compared.
- L. Rubino - Environmental Catalysts and Technologies Johnson Matthey, Orchard Road, Royston Herts. SG8 5HE, England, U.K
- Paul R. Phillips - Environmental Catalysts and Technologies Johnson Matthey, Orchard Road, Royston Herts. SG8 5HE, England, U.K
- Martyn V. Twigg - Environmental Catalysts and Technologies Johnson Matthey, Orchard Road, Royston Herts. SG8 5HE, England, U.K
CitationRubino, L., Phillips, P., and Twigg, M., "Measurements of Ultrafine Particle Number Emissions from a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Using SMPS, DMS, ELPI and EEPS," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-015, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-015.
- Pope, C. A. Dockery, D. W. Schwartz, J. Review of epidemiological evidence of health effects of particulate air pollution Inhal. Toxicol. 1995 7 1 18
- Hall, D. E. King, D. J. Morgan, T. D. B. Baverstock, S. J. Heinze, P. Simpson, B. J. “A review of recent literature investigating the measurement of automotive particulate; the relationship with environmental aerosol, air quality and health effects” SAE Paper No. 982602 1998
- Seaton, A. MacNee, W. Donaldson, K. Godden, D. Particulate air pollution and acute health effects The Lancet 1995 345 176 178
- Peters, A. Wichmann, H. E. Tuch, T. Heinrich, J. Heyder, J. Respiratory effects are associated with the number of ultrafine particles Amer. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 1997 155 1376 1383
- Wichmann, H. E. Spix, C. Tuch, T. Wolke G. Peters A. Heinrich J. Kreyling W. G. Heyder J. Daily mortality and fine & ultrafine particles in Erfurt – Part I: role of particle number and mass Health Effects Inst. Cambridge, Mass 2000
- Ayres, J. G. Health effects of airborne particles Presented at 1st Meeting of MVEG Sub-Group on Euro 5 & Euro 6 Emission Standards, Ispra 4 Sep. 2003 http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/automotive/mveg_meetings/index.htm
- Ntziachristos, L. Samaras, Z. New directions: emerging demands for vehicle particle emission characterisation Atmos. Environ. 2003 37 441 442
- Johnson, J. H. Baumgard, K. J. The effect of fuel and engine design on diesel particle size distribution SAE Paper No. 960131 1996
- Kittelson, D. B. Watts, W. F. Arnold, M. Review of diesel particulate matter sampling methods: Supplemental report No. 1, Diesel exhaust particle measurement systems Univ. of Minnesota, Centre for Diesel Research 1999
- Mayer A. Egli, H. Burtscher, H. Czerwinski, J. Gehring, H. Particle size distributions downstream of traps of different designs SAE Paper No. 950373 1995
- Kruger, M. Luders, H. Luers, B. Kaufmann, R. Koch, W. Kauffeldt, T. Influence of exhaust gas aftertreatment on particulate characteristics of vehicle diesel engines Motortechnische Zeitschrift 1997 58 27 30
- Burtscher, H. Literature study on tailpipe particulate emission measurements for diesel engines 2001 Available at http://www.akpf.org/pub/burtscher_bericht.pdf
- Rubino, L. After-treatment of particulate emissions from simulated and gasoline engine exhausts University of London (Imperial College) 2003
- Rubino, L. Crane, R. I. Shrimpton, J.S. Arcoumanis, C. “An Electrostatic Trap for Control of Ultrafine Particle Emissions from Gasoline-engined Vehicles” Proc. IMechE., Part D: J. Automobile Engineerin 219 535 546
- Rubino, L. Crane R. I. “Electrostatic Precipitation for Trapping Ultrafine Particles in Gasoline Engine Exhaust” 6 th International Conference on Engines for Automobile ICE2003, SAE_NA Paper No. 2003-01-52, Capri 14–19 September 2003
- Crane, R. I. Rubino, L. Arcoumanis, C. Golunski, S. E. McNamara, J. M. Poulston, S. Rajaram, R. R. “Foresight Vehicle” SAE Transactions Part 4, J. Fuels and Lubricants 2002 111 886 901 SAE Paper 2002-01-1894)
- Delisle, M. New emission limit philosophy based on the total number of solid particles 7th Int. ETH Conf. on Combustion Generated Particles Zürich 18–20 Aug. 2003
- AEEC News 10 1 January 2005
- 1st Meeting of MVEG Sub-Group on Euro 5 and 6 Emission Standards Ispra 4 September 2003 Available at http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/automotive/mveg_meetings/index.htm
- BUWAL 8th ETH Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles Zurich August 2004
- Maricq, M. M. Podsiadlik, D. H. Chase, R. E. 1999a “Examination of the Size-Resolved and Transient Nature of Motor Vehicle Particle Emissions” Environ. Sci. & Tech. 33 (10) 1618 1626
- Maricq, M. M. Podsiadlik, D. H. Chase, R. E. Gasoline vehicle particle size distributions: comparison of steady state, FTP and US06 measurements Environ. Sci. Tech. 1999 33 2007 2016
- Wang, S. C. Flagan, R. C. 1990 “Scanning Electrical Mobility Spectrometer” Aerosol Sci & Tech 13 230 240
- Keskinen, J. Pietarinen, K. Lehtimaki, M. 1992 “Electrical Low Pressure Impactor” J. Aerosol Sci. 23 4 353 360
- Marjamäki, M. Keskinen, J. Chen, D. Pui, Y. H. 2000 “Performance evaluation of the Electrical Low Pressure Impactor (ELPI)” J. Aerosol Science 32 389 401
- Moisio, M. 1999 “Real time size distribution measurements of combustion aerosols” Tampere University of Technology
- Kayes, D. Hochgreb, S. 1998 “Investigation of the Dilution Process for Measurement of Particulate Matter from Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE Paper No. 982601
- Collings, N. Reavell, K. Hands T. Tate J. “Roadside Aerosol Measurements with a Fast Particulate Spectrometer” JSAE 20035407
- Cambustion website www.cambustion.com .
- Johnson, T. Caldow R. Pocher A. et al. “A New Electrical Mobility Particle Sizer Spectrometer for Engine Exhaust Particle Measurements” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1341
- Kittelson, D.B. Hands, T. Nickolaus C. et al. “Mass correlation of engine emissions with spectral instruments” JSAE 20045462 2004
- Kittelson, D. B. Johnson, J. Watts, W. Wei, Q. Drayton, M. Paulsen, D. 2000 “Diesel aerosol sampling in the atmosphere” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2212
- Abdul-Khalek, I. S. Kittelson, D. B. Brear, F. 2000 “Nanoparticle growth during dilution conditions on diesel exhaust particle size distribution measurements” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0515
- Harris, S. J. Maricq, M. M. Signature distributions for diesel and gasoline engine exhaust particulate matter J. Aerosol Sci. 2001 32 749 764
- Ntziachristos, L. Samaras, Z. 2000 “Sampling Conditions Effects on Real-Time Particle Measurements from a Light Duty Vehicle” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2049