This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Productive measurement of transmission loss characteristics using Nearfield Acoustic Holography
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A continuously growing demand comes from the automotive industry for optimisation of materials and sound insulating products implementation inside the car, in order to propose the best acoustic performance at reduced costs.
As already presented last year at SEA Brazil , the approach based on extensive use of the acoustical holography system dBVISION of 01dB-METRAVIB provides part of the solution to such a demand. Whereas the first paper was dedicated to some general considerations and practical aspects of NAH implementation inside a car, the one proposed for the 2005 session is focused on a very important aspect of NAH measurements, namely productivity, for both inside and outside measurements.
The paper reviews the NAH technique advantages for measuring the acoustic field inside and outside a vehicle and performing extensive studies on transmission loss characteristics of panels and car openings, with the aim of:
- detailed localization of possible acoustic weakness points on single components,
- ranking of the tested components in terms of global and partial radiated power contribution
- driving possible optimisation of component in the early stages of the design cycle
The applied test set-up will be presented and its main features regarding productivity improvement will be highlighted, with a special attention to the compact and versatile robotized instrumentation used for this type of measurements.
The presentation will be illustrated by operational results in different situations and some possible extension will be proposed in order to open this technique to the efficient characterization of 3D-shaped structures.
Citationde la Croix, D., Le Sueur, B., and Isnard, N., "Productive measurement of transmission loss characteristics using Nearfield Acoustic Holography," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-4166, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-4166.
- Maynard J. Williams E.G. Lee Y. Nearfield Acoustic Holography Theory of generalised holography and development of NAH, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 78 o 4
- Veronesi W.A. Maynard J.D. Nearfield Acoustic Holography (NAH). II Holographic Reconstruction Algorithms and Computer Implementation, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 81 5 1307 1322 may 1987
- Garnier B. Molliex F. Vaucher D. The acoustic holography: from nice pictures… to effective applications ICA95 - 15 th International Congress on Acoustics Acoustical Society of Norway - IUPAP Trondheim, Norway 26-30 June 1995 4 55 60 NEWMAN M.
- Vaucher D. Webster D. Garnier B. Molliex F. MALICE, the efficient acoustical imaging system for precise noise localisation 5 th International Congress on Sound and Vibration Adelaîde, Australia Dec. 1997
- Vaucher D. Webster D. Garnier B. Molliex F. A new tool for sound proofing inspection: the SALSA system 5 th International Congress on Sound and Vibration Adelaîde, Australia Dec. 1997
- Garnier B. Vaucher D. Catalifaud J. Bondoux D. A new help for optimizing sound proofing packages: the SALSA system 4 th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference - AIAA/CEAS TOULOUSE 2-4 juin 1998
- Vaucher D. Mulocher P. Catalifaud J. Demars JP. Florentz B. Perrin F. Holographie acoustique appliquée à des measures intérieures d'habitacle 3D SIA Conference - LE MANS November 2000
- Antoine Th. Catalifaud J. Aujard C. Meeting Noise regulation with NAH Sound & Vibration May 2003
- Vaucher D. Isnard N. Most efficient practice of nearfield measurements inside a car for improving acoustic comfort SAE Conference Sao Paolo, Brasil November 2004
- de la Croix D. Vaucher Fernier D. Chevret P. Delamare C. Morgan C. D. Source Identification Using Nearfield Acoustic Holography Applied To A Seat Belt Retractor SAE Conference Traverse City, MI May 2005