This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Automotive Components using Topologic Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper came from the latent needs of the Brazilian Market for products more robust and at the same time cheaper. With these needs in mind the product development team of General Motors do Brasil have developed together with Altair Engineering do Brasil a design methodology based on the topologic optimization technology.
The objective of this paper was defined in a meeting of the technical teams of the two companies: Develop the application of the topologic optimization technology on design of structural components using actual GMB models.
This methodology is described on this paper with some practical examples where it was applied. One the important news here presented it was considering the casting constrains that leave to an optimal design that can be produced.
The results here presented were obtained using optimization and compared with the traditional approach here defined as try-error. The parameters used to compare were: mass, time of development, trustworthiness on the results and the development costs.
Citationde Castro Orefice, F., Sibuya, A., de Lourenço Silva, E., Barbosa Oliveira, S. et al., "Development of Automotive Components using Topologic Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-4052, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-4052.
- BENDSØE, M.P. Optimal Shape Design as a material Distribution Problem Structural Optimization 1 192 202 1989
- HAFKA, R.T. Gürdal, Z. Kamat, M.P. Element of Structural Optimization Kluver Academic Publishers Boston 1996
- MURAT, F. Tartar, L. Optimality Conditions and Homogenization Nonlinear Variational Problems Pitman Publishing program Boston 1 8 1985
- THOMAS, H. Zhou, M. Schramm U. Issues of Commercial optimization softwares development. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 23 2 97 110 Spring-Verlag Berlin Heidell
- VANDERPLAATZ, G. Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design: with Applications MCGraw-Hill 1984