This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Vibration and Monitoring Analysis of High-Speed Turbomachinery using a Rotor Test Rig
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents the development of a rotor test rig specially devised to analyze different rotor-bearing systems running at several operating conditions. The test rig allows testing single and two disk rotors of different lengths supported on oil lubricated journal bearings. Experimental setup includes a rotational speed controller, which is achieved by a frequency inverter and a conventional electrical motor, accelerometers mounted on the bearing caps and a frequency analyzer. Frequency spectra of different rotor configurations are taken through many rotating tests. Cascade plots of some rotor configurations during run-up and coast-down tests show important dynamic characteristics of rotor-bearing systems in function of the rotating speed. A discussion about the analysis and monitoring procedures on the early design stages of rotor-bearing systems is also presented in this work.
|Technical Paper||A New Single-Screw Pump|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Lubrication System Variables on Sleeve Bearing Performance|
|Technical Paper||Torque-Speed-Temperature Relationship in Grease Lubricated Angular Contact Ball Bearings|
CitationFaria, M., Silva, L., and Machado, L., "Experimental Vibration and Monitoring Analysis of High-Speed Turbomachinery using a Rotor Test Rig," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-4017, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-4017.
- GUNTER, E.J., Jr. Dynamic Stability of Rotor-Bearing Systems NASA Publication SP-113 29 1966
- ALLAIRE, P.E. FLACK, R.D. Design of Journal Bearings for Rotating Machinery Proceedings of the 10 th Turbomachinery Symposium Houston, USA 25 45 1989
- TIWARI, R. VYAS, N.S. Non-Linear Bearing Stiffness Parameter Extraction from Random Response in Flexible Rotor-Bearing Systems Journal of Sound and Vibration 203 389 408 1997
- SCHLEGEL, V. Vibration Measurement and Monitoring, in Dynamics of Rotors - Stability and System Identification Mahrenholtz O. Springer-Verlag New York, USA 333 351 1984
- LIFSON, A. SIMMONS, H.R. Vibration Monitoring of Turbomachinery Proceedings of the 19 th Turbomachinery Symposium Houston, USA 101 118 1990
- SILVA, L.F.A.T. MACHADO, L.H.J. FARIA, M.T.C. Experimental Vibration Analysis of Rotors Supported on Hydrodynamic Journal Bearings (in Portuguese) Proceedings of the third Seminar of the Research Center of Hydraulics and Hydric Resources (III Semin-CPH) Federal University of Minas Gerais Belo Horizonte, Brazil 1 4 2004
- EHRICH, F.F. Handbook of Rotordynamics McGraw-Hill New York, USA 1992
- VANCE, J.M. Rotordynamics of Turbomachinery John Wiley & Sons New York, USA 1988