This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Formula SAE Suspension Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Resume a Formula SAE suspension design. After rules analysis, which limits the suspension a minimum travel and wheelbase, project targets were defined, than a benchmarking was made on top teams. The tire behavior is discussed. The unequal A-arms with tie-rod on front and rear suspension are detailed. The dimensional approach was developed on CAD concerning dimensional restrictions. The transient stability, control and maneuvering performance were analyzed on overall forces and moments diagram. For kinematics and dynamic analysis a multibody model was used. Rollover, ride and handling were simulated and were done tuning on geometry, springs and dampers to achieve performance.
|Technical Paper||Design of Formula SAE Suspension|
|Technical Paper||Introduction to Formula SAE® Suspension and Frame Design|
|Technical Paper||Kinematics and Compliance of Sports Utility Vehicles|
Citationde Paula Eduardo, G., "Formula SAE Suspension Design," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3994, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3994.
- Gillespie, Thomas D. Fundamentals of vehicle dynamics 1ª edition SAE 1992
- Milliken, W. F. Race car vehicle dynamics 1ª edition SAE 1995
- Jindra, F. Mathematical Model of Four-Wheeled Vehicle for Hybrid Computer Vehicle Handling Program National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 1976
- Wade Allen R. Szostak Henry T. et. al. Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover National Highway Traffic Safety Administration June 1992
- Reimpell, J. Stoll, H. The Automobile Chassis. Engineering Principles SAE, Inc. Warrendale, PA 15096-0001 1996
- Van Valkenburgh, Paul Race Car Engineering and Mechanics Seal Beach, CA
- Kortüm, W. Sharp, R.S. Multibody Computer Codes in Vehicle System Dynamics Lisse, Swetz and Zeitlinger 1993
- Formula SAE Rules Warrendale, PA SAE International
- Smith, Carroll Tune to Win Fallbrock, CA Aero Publishers 1978
- Pacejka, H. Sharp, R.S. Shear Force development by Pneumatic Tyres in Steady State Conditions: A Review of Modelling Aspects Vehicle System Dynamics 20 1991 121 176
- Von Schlippe, B. Dietrich, R. Das Flatten Eines Pepneuten Rades (Shimmying of a Pneumatic Wheel) Bericht 140 der Lilienthal–Gesellschaft fur Luftfahrtforschung (Translated in NACA TM 1365)
- Loeb, J.S. et. al. Lateral Stiffness, Cornering Stiffness and Relaxation Length of the Pneumatic Tire SAE Paper No. 900129 1990