This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Optical Diagnostics of HSDI Diesel Combustion Processes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The direct view into the combustion chamber of a direct injection (DI) Diesel engine allows a fast, comprehensive analysis of the influence of different engine parameters on the combustion process. Therefore and in order to acquire a maximum amount of information from one engine cycle, a combination of four non-intrusive temporally and spatially highly resolving optical measurement techniques were applied simultaneously to a passenger car DI Diesel transparent engine. These measurement techniques include the detection of the flame luminosity in the UV-range as well as the detection of thermally excited soot radiation in the visible range, the visualization of the distribution of the liquid fuel phase by the Mie scattering technique and the laser-induced incandescence (LII) technique for the characterization of the two-dimensional soot distribution inside a selected plane of the combustion chamber.
With these four measurement techniques the influence of the flow value of three different geometries of the nozzle-holes on spray formation, mixing, ignition, combustion and soot formation was examined. Besides significant influence of the flow value, the investigation also revealed the relevance of the combustion bowl wall on mixture formation and combustion. The increasing flow value intensifies the spray wall interaction, which improves the mixture formation and leads to a reduced soot formation for the examined operating points. Additionally for an operating point with pre-injection the swirl in the combustion bowl was increased. The resulting reduction of soot formation indicates that not only fuel propagation is important for the quality of mixture preparation, but also the charge motion.
The acquired results are condensed in a schematic, which illustrates plastically the differences of the engine parameters on mixture formation and combustion.
CitationTaschek, M., Koch, P., Egermann, J., and Leipertz, A., "Simultaneous Optical Diagnostics of HSDI Diesel Combustion Processes," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3845, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3845.
- Taschek, M. Egermann, J. Schwarz, S. Leipertz, A. Quantitative Analysis of the Near-Wall Mixture Formation in a Passenger Car DI Diesel Engine Using Raman scattering November 2005
- Bach, M. et al. 58 7 8 1997 372 382
- Baritaud, T. Optical Measurements in DI Diesel Engines Applied Combustion Diagnostics Herausg. K. Höinghaus K. Jeffries J. B. Tayler and Francis London 2002 431 451
- Van de Hulst, H. C. Light Scattering by Small Praticles John Wiley&Sons, Inc. New York 1957
- Müller, U.-C. RWTH-Aachen 1993
- Bertsch, D. University of Karlsruhe 1999
- Koyanagi, K. et al. Optimizing common-rail injection by optical diagnostics in a transparent production type diesel engine SAE TEchnical Papers 1999-01-3646
- Gaydon, A. G. The Spectroscopy of Flames Champan & Hall London 1957
- Hultquvist, A. et al. A Study of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3680
- Antoni, C. Peters, N. Cycle Resolved Emission Spectroscopy for IC Engines SAE Technical Paper 972917
- Dec, J. Espey, C. Chemiluminescence Imaging of Autoignition in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 982685
- Leipertz, A. Ossler, F. Alden, M. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Soot Diagnostics by Optical Techniques Applied Combustion Diagnostics Höinghaus K. K. Jeffries J. B. Tayler and Francis London 2002 359 383
- Dec, J. Loye, A. Siebers, D. Soot Distribution in a DI Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser-Induced Incandescence Imaging SAE Technical Paper 910224
- Dec, J. Espey, C. Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a DI Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnostics SAE Technical Paper 950456
- Santoro, R. Laser-Induced Incandescence Applied Combustion Diagnostics Höinghaus K. K. Jeffries J. B. Tayler and Francis London 2002 252 286
- Quay, B. Lee, T.-W. Ni, T. Santoro, R. J. Spatially resolved measurements of soot volume fraction using laser-induced incandescence Com. Flame 97 384 392
- Tippelmann, G. A new Method of Investigation of Swirl Ports SAE Technical Paper 770404 1977