This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation of S.I. Engine Operation on Gaseous Fuels Lean Mixtures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The operation of S.I. engines on lean or diluents containing gaseous fuel-air mixtures is attractive in principle since it can provide improved fuel economy, reduced tendency to knock and low NOx emissions combined with a possible improvement to the operational life of the engine. However, the overall flame propagation rates then tend to drop sharply as the operational mixture is excessively leaned or diluted with CO2 or N2.
The paper presents experimental data obtained in a single cylinder, variable compression ratio, S.I., CFR engine when operated on a number of gaseous fuels and some of their mixtures. A gradual leaning of the operating mixture can affect adversely in turn, emissions of CO and unburned fuel and cyclic variation. The extent of deterioration in these operating parameters is shown to correlate well with the corresponding values of the combustion period, a key combustion indicator. Similar effects were observed when adding diluents to stoichiometric CH4-air mixtures.
The addition of H2 to CH4 tends to accelerate the flame propagation and improve combustion stability but enhances the formation of NOx, especially for lean mixtures operation. A discussion of the possible reasons for the trends observed is presented together with outlining some possible measures to obtain low NOx emissions while keeping satisfactory rates of flame propagation.
CitationLi, H. and Karim, G., "An Experimental Investigation of S.I. Engine Operation on Gaseous Fuels Lean Mixtures," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3765, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3765.
- King R.O. Hayes S.V. Allan A.B. Anderson R.W.P. Walker E.J. “The Hydrogen Engine: Combustion Knock and the Related Flame Velocity” Transaction of the Engg. Inst. of Canada (E.I.C.) 2 4 143 148 1958
- Furuhama S. “State of the Art and Future Trend of Hydrogen-Fueled Engine” JSAE Review March 53 68 1981
- Karim G.A. “Hydrogen as a Spark Ignition Engine Fuel” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 28 569 577 2003
- Furuhama S. Hiruma M. “Some Characteristics of Oil Consumption Measured by Hydrogen Fuelled Engine” J. of ASLE 34 12 665 675 1977
- Tang X. Kabat D.M. Natkin R.J. Stockhausen W.F. Heffel J.W. “Ford P2000 Hydrogen Engine Dynamometer Development” SAE Paper 2002-01-0242 2002
- Li H. Karim G.A. Sohrabi A. “Examination of the Oil Combustion in a S.I. Hydrogen Engine” SAE Paper 2004-01-2916 2004
- Li H. Karim G.A. “The Applications of H2 in S.I. engines” Proceedings of the International Green Energy Conference 12 16 June 2005 Waterloo, ON, Canada
- Karim G.A. Wierzba I. Al-Alousi Y. “Methane-Hydrogen Mixtures as Fuels” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 21 625 631 1996
- Bauer C.G. Forest T.W. “Effect of Hydrogen Addition on the Performance of Methane-Fueled Vehicles. Part I: Effect on S.I. Engine Performance” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 26 55 70 2001
- Grandin B. Ångströmet H.E. “Knock Suppression in Turbo-Charged S.I. Engine by Using Cooled EGR” SAE Paper 1999-01-3505 1999
- Shrestha S.O. Bade Karim G.A. “Considering the Effects of Cyclic Variations when Modeling the Performance of a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-3600 2001
- Søgaard C. Schramm J. Jensen T.K. “Reduction of UHC-Emissions from Natural Gas Fired SI Engine-Production and Application of Steam Reformed Natural Gas” SAE Paper 2000-01-2823 2000
- Quader A.A. Kirwan J.E. Grieve M.J. “Engine Performance and Emissions Near the Dilute Limit with Hydrogen Enrichment Using an On-Board Reforming Strategy” SAE Paper 2003-01-1356 2003
- Cheng W.K. Hamrin D. Heywood J.B. Hochgreb S. Min K. Norris M. “An Overview of Hydrocarbon Emission Mechanism in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 930278 1993
- Liu H. Wallace J.S. “Instantaneous In-Cylinder Hydrocarbon Concentration Measurement during the Post-Flame Period in an SI Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-3577 1999
- Shrestha S.O. Bade Karim G.A. “An Experimental and Analytical Examination of Combustion Period for Gas Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine Applications” Proc Instn. Mech. Engrs., Part A, J. of Power and Energy 215 1 63 74 2001
- Li H. Karim G.A. “The Lean Mixture Operational Limits of S.I. Engines when Operated on Fuel Mixtures” Proceedings of ICEF2005, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2005 Fall Technical Conference September 11∼14 2005 Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Li H. Karim G.A. “S.I. Engine Operation on H 2 , CO, CH 4 and Their Mixtures” Proceedings of ICEF2004, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2004 Fall Technical Conference October 24∼27 2004 Long Beach, CA, USA